Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 23rd, 2008 13:00

plugged in, not charging

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my computer would automaticaly shut down when the power cord was removed, I hovered over the battery icon in the bottom right corner and it said 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I googled the phrase plugged in, not charging and realised lots of people were having the same problem.

I have tried

• restarting and shutting down my computer (with and without battery and with and without power cord)
  • removing and replacing my battery (while laptop is on and off)
  • a replacement battery from Dell
  • my sister's battery and power cord (she also has a 1525)in my laptop and get the message plugged in, not charging. My battery in her laptop will charge but my power cord in her laptop says plugged in, not charging
  • removing the battery with the laptop on then restarting the laptop and replacing the battery
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Power Management Software
  • switching between power plans
  • flashing with current bios

All 3 batteries (hers, my original and my replacement) have adequate charge (50% or higher)

I run with Windows Vista Home edition

Can anyone help me or suggest anything else?

I have been to the local Dell distributer and they tell me to call Dell.  I have tried calling Dell but I keep getting put on hold for 30+ minutes.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

1 Message

January 26th, 2012 06:00

THIS IS A PURE VISTA (software) problem.

Absolutely wrong.  The Original Poster has walked you through the fact that the Dell's BIOS (that is Basic Input Output System) which is *PRE* Operating System in hte boot order, has reported that the AC ADapter is not being detected properly.

In a Plug and Play system, the PNP Compliant BIOS is responsible for hardware enumeration, and for passing the info about hardware up the the operating system at system boot.

19 Posts

January 27th, 2012 04:00

If the computer was under a year old the warranty would of covered the motherboard replacement!

7 Posts

February 16th, 2012 16:00

all that is rubbish...this worked for me and alot of other people also and follow exactly.same problem came back abt a month later...but worked again and battery is now charging see this link http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi,

This is very common problem with dell's inspiron's especially with 1520. Problem lays with chip MAX 8731 (in other laptops can be found also MAX 8734), and it's surroundings. The chip is quite cheap - about 8 $ but it's impossible to change it without hot air soldering station (it's BGA chip). But it isn't necessarily the chip only, it can be something of it's surroundings like burnt resistor so there you should look.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi,

This is very common problem with dell's inspiron's especially with 1520. Problem lays with chip MAX 8734 (in other laptops can be found also MAX 8731), and it's surroundings. The chip is quite cheap - about 8 $ but it's impossible to change it without hot air soldering station (it's BGA chip). But it isn't necessarily the chip only, it can be something of it's surroundings like burnt resistor so there you should look.

1 Message

February 24th, 2012 16:00

you are a life saver!! I was 10 seconds away from freaking out... and it worked!!!

1 Message

February 28th, 2012 18:00

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS ABOVE. PLEASE E-MAIL ME A SOLUTION.

This page has a solution that you should try:

jeffreypalermo.com/.../plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution

Here is the sequence:

Disconnect AC

Shutdown

Remove battery

Connect AC

Startup

Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Shutdown

Disconnect AC

Insert battery

Connect AC

Startup

2 Posts

Try to push the power cord in hard and twist it around (back and forth). This solved the problem for me and I haven't had a problem since then.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 13:00

Bruno, how do I get to the contextual menu?  When I click on the battery icon I get the power management stuff but nothing about enable or disable charging.

Larry

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 15:00

Been there and done that one, didn't help at all.  It reads a Microsof Charger, Microsoft Battery and Mricrosoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery.  Now here is the strange thing, the battery is in and shows 70% charge, if I unplug the AC Power the laptop immediately shuts down.  If I pull out the battery and put the AC cord in without the battery in it will not boot up, it starts to for a couple of seconds and then goes blank.  Any ideas on this at all???

Larry

April 2nd, 2012 15:00

Click Start in the lower left corner of your desktop. In the Search box type Device Manager. When the list of devices appears, click on the + sign next to Batteries. From the list of batteries, right click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Click on Uninstall. Click on OK. It will then be removed from your system. Don't worry, your system will re-install it when you reboot, following the remaining instructions in the post.

1 Message

April 15th, 2012 08:00

I am having a similar situation with my Dell Inspirion.  Did you ever find a solution?

3 Posts

April 15th, 2012 15:00

I think I found the solution. I was literally about to chuck the 1501 as it was no longer working even when plugged in. So as a last ditch effort I blew as hard as I could into the electric port and the POUNDED on the back in the same area and Leo and behold it charges now! Go figure. So give it a really good whack a few times. Good luck.

7 Posts

April 15th, 2012 15:00

http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

above did work for me....but it started again a few days later...so i kept doin the above..sometimes worked sometimes not....but i noticed that i usually just close the laptop and down shutdown...and when i have closed the correct way seems to be ok...

No Events found!