Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 10th, 2020 07:00

7480 upgrade to NVMe

Looking to bump my storage capacity up as well as upgrade to and NVMe drive on my 7480 but had a few questions first...

Does the NVMe drive go into the M.2 slot?

Can I clone my existing drive onto the NVMe if I get a USB adapter for my NVMe?

Anything I need to change in the BIOS to get it to boot from the NVMe?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 10th, 2020 09:00

@Anonymous  Yes an NVMe SSD would go into the M.2 slot.  That slot supports M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe SSDs, depending on what you installed.  Yes you can clone to an M.2 NVMe SSD if you install it into a suitable enclosure.  However, be aware that at least as far as I know today, there are enclosures that work only with M.2 SATA SSDs and others that work only with M.2 NVMe SSDs, so be careful what you buy.  I have this one.  In terms of the BIOS, if you're already in RAID mode than you won't have to change anything.  If you're in AHCI mode and you're coming from a SATA-based drive right now, then you'll have an issue because that means Windows will be set up to load a SATA class driver, which means it won't boot properly from an NVMe SSD.  And switching to RAID mode on an active Windows installation will be a problem too because that would require loading a different driver.  So hopefully Windows is set up for RAID mode, because in that case it won't "realize" that the storage has switched from SATA to NVMe.

Apart from that, some UEFI systems don't automatically boot from storage that was set up elsewhere (like in a USB enclosure) because bootloader paths need to be registered into the firmware.  Because of that, some cloning applications like Macrium Reflect Free have a mechanism to take care of that.  So I'd suggest cloning using that application and also creating its bootable Rescue Media.  If you install your NVMe SSD internally and it doesn't boot, then boot from the Rescue Media and run the "Fix Boot Problems" wizard, which should take care of it.

If your system is in AHCI mode though, the only workaround I know works is to use Macrium's ReDeploy wizard, which is designed to facilitate migrating to dissimilar hardware and therefore can tweak Windows as needed to allow booting from NVMe even if the cloned image was meant to boot from SATA.  But ReDeploy is only available in the paid versions of Reflect.

Lastly, if the new SSD has more capacity than the one you're replacing, you might need to "stage" the new partition sizing upfront.  Depending on your partition layout, expanding the partition later might be difficult.  If you use Macrium Reflect, the way to do that is covered in Steps 4 and 5 of this guide.  The trick is to use the drag and drop method to move partitions from source to destination, then use that "Cloned Partition Properties" interface to specify that the cloned partition should be larger than the source.

No Events found!