Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2018 14:00

Applying WIM File to Laptop

We have purchased a small number of Latitude 3590 laptops.  We need to be able to quickly switch software packages on these computers.  I am creating virtual machines in Hyper-V, and converting them to WIM images.  When I try to apply the WIM image to the laptop, I get this error:

"Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware"

I have successfully applied this image to a desktop computer, so I know it works. What do I need to do to get this WIM image to work on this laptop?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2018 18:00

Sorry, missed the note that it works on a desktop.  The Latitude xx90 models only support booting from internal storage in UEFI mode, so is your image perhaps built on a Gen 1 Hyper-V VM rather than Gen 2?  In that case the image would be set up for Legacy BIOS booting.  Otherwise, I believe DISM writes more detailed errors to a log file even in WinPE, although the log file wouldn't be persistent after the WinPE session.  I'm not sure exactly what the path would be, but if you can find it, you might see more detail there.  I'm also really surprised to see an error relating to Windows Setup if you're not even using the Windows Setup wizard to apply the image.  I wouldn't have thought DISM would care about compatibility and would instead just apply the contents of the image onto the disk.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2018 15:00

It might help to share a bit more details about how exactly you're "converting" VMs into WIM images and what tools you're using to apply the WIM to the laptop.  An entire VM virtual disk would not be converted directly to a WIM since a default Windows installation creates several partitions on a virtual disk, and a single WIM image can only contain content for a single partition.  But right off the bat, are you sysprepping the VMs before you convert them to WIM files?  You need to do that whenever you prepare an image on one type of hardware and plan to deploy it to another, otherwise you might find that Windows won't even boot on the other hardware even if you did get the image laid down onto the drive.

And from general experience, if you'll only be imaging 3590s, you might also find it easier to just prepare the image on a 3590 itself since that way you can get all of the drivers and any vendor-specific applications installed.  Yes, you can inject drivers into a WIM, but I've found that doesn't always work well.  And some driver packages aren't provided in an "injectable" format, and other applications you might want to have on these systems (e.g. Dell SupportAssist) will only install on Dell hardware, so you wouldn't be able to pre-install them in an image prepared within a Hyper-V VM.

November 6th, 2018 15:00

As I said in the original post, I have successfully applied this same image to a desktop computer.

I run sysprep on the soucrce computer, the VM.  Then I run the following PowerShell script to convert to VHDX file to a WIM image:

#Mount file
Write-Host "Mounting Image"
Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath C:\Workspace\Alpha\$ImageFile.vhdx -Path C:\Workspace\Mount -Index 1

#Capture image
Write-Host "Saving Image As WIM File"
New-WindowsImage -CapturePath C:\Workspace\Mount -Name $ImageFile -ImagePath C:\Workspace\Deploy\$ImageFile.wim

#Dismount file
Write-Host "Dismounting File"
Dismount-WindowsImage -Path C:\Workspace\Mount -Discard
Write-Host "Process Complete"

After this, I boot the target computer from a WinPE disk, and use DISM to apply the WIM image to the target computer. 

And yes, I can use the laptop as a source computer for a new WIM file, but I have done a lot of work on this image, and I would rather not have to start over.

November 7th, 2018 13:00

That was it.  When I went back and created a new Gen2 VM, it worked.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to automate the configuration so it doesn't ask all the set up questions.  I am trying to find where all the settings are in the answer file.

Thanks for the help.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 7th, 2018 14:00

Glad to help, and it's good that you discovered this, because Windows 10 really should be set up in UEFI mode on hardware that supports it.  It enables a few extra features, typically results in faster boot times, and allows you to use Secure Boot, which is a handy additional protection against rootkits.

As for unattend, if you just want to skip the OOBE interface, I have a basic unattend file you can specify when running Sysprep that will achieve that.  You'll want to modify certain things to suit your purposes, e.g. time zone, desired Administrator account password (if you want to set one), details of the default user account to create, and possibly storing the passwords in encrypted format (although that requires using the ADK tools to modify the XML file), but it has all of the necessary settings to skip past the OOBE and still end up with a local user account that you can actually use to log onto the system other than the built-in Administrator account. Unfortunately it seems I can't attach an XML file here and even if I change the extension to TXT, I get an error that the file extension doesn't match the file type.  But if you PM me, I can arrange to send it to you.

No Events found!