Battery charging modes

Hello
What battery charging mode do you use:

- Adaptive
- Standard
- ExpressCharge
- Primarily AC use
- Custom .....(what values?)

Which one, in your opinion, is the best for a battery?

Which one you recommend for a longer battery life so that the battery will last a long time and keep it in place?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2018 03:00

A dell support article link follows with a great deal of information on batteries and maintaining long life.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sg/en/sgbsd1/sln128667/laptop-battery-faq?lang=en

28 Posts

November 3rd, 2018 08:00

this is pure theory for all batteries And how do you apply these settings in practice?

28 Posts

November 3rd, 2018 14:00

just what are the different modes in DELL doing? and which one is the best?

118 Posts

In my experience, extending the useful life of a laptop battery depends on so many factors that it will always be a moving target. That said, I always set my laptops to "Adaptive". I guess just to let the computer figure it out!

I have found very good information and knowledge at this site (Battery University):

https://batteryuniversity.com/

118 Posts

There is NO best!

It depends on the age of the battery, the manufacturer, the ambient and work temperature, the use load, the charging cycles and on and on.

If you read the documentation provided in the links above you should arrive at your own conclusions.

28 Posts

November 4th, 2018 02:00

How exactly does the "Adaptive" mode behave?

118 Posts

November 4th, 2018 03:00

Dell's definition for Adaptive Mode:
"Automatically optimizes battery settings based on the user's typical use patterns. Recommended for user's who want to "set and forget"."

Basically the laptop uses algorithms to achieve a best case scenario charging pattern for your laptop.

How does it work "exactly" is an unknown quantity. An equation with too many variables.

28 Posts

November 4th, 2018 06:00

that is, it can top up to 90% by tipping that it is 100%?

June 30th, 2020 02:00

i think primarily ac use is a good option as it uses power from ac adapter when connected

No Events found!