Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CL

12 Posts

September 10th, 2020 09:00

Dell 7410 Automatically switch to High Performance power plan

I recently bought Dell 7410 2-in-1 notebook.  When unit being charged, it  automatically switch to High Performance power plan.  Even when I chose "balanced" or other options, it will return to High Performance plan some minutes later.  Fan operates at high pitch and noise.  Annoying when working in quiet concentrated state.  

Dell (Windows?) assumes that we always need High Performance?  Why aren't we allowed to set our desired power option - regardless if charging the unit or not?  I currently have other notebooks (Acer Swift 5, ASUS Flip 14....), they don't work this way.  They are more quiet.  At least they don't normally operate at such high fan speed.  Annoyed by such top-line model.  

• 

25.1K Posts

September 11th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 11th, 2020 06:00

Have you checked the Advanced setting in your power profile look into Processor Power Management settings? 

Modify screen and sleep settings

To change settings for how long the computer stays awake and how long the monitor stays on, perform these actions:

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "sleep".
  2. Select Power and Sleep settings.
  3. Using the dropdowns provided, select how long the screen stays on and how long the computer waits to go into sleep mode, both on battery and while plugged in.

Change the power plan

To change the power plan in Windows 10, perform these actions:

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "sleep".
  2. Select Power and Sleep settings, then select Additional power settings at the bottom of the screen.
    The Power Options window appears.
  3. Select Balanced (recommended)Power saver, or select Create a power plan on the left side of the screen.
  4. Customize your plan settings as desired.

You can also Reset your power plan
Launch Command Prompt (Admin) > type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes >hit Enter to reset the power plan settings to default.
Exit command prompt to remove all customized power plans.
Create a new power plan and customize it according to your needs.

12 Posts

September 19th, 2020 10:00

I did reply - with my service tag.  

I was asked to complete a satisfaction survey - before my issue/query was solved.  As such I don't think I can complete the survey.  

I am still waiting for an answer to the problem.  

12 Posts

September 19th, 2020 11:00

Thank you Adrian.  I don't think resetting to defaults can solve the issue.  Allow me to state again the issues:

1. On my 7410 screen, I don't see the option mentioned in Point 3 of your "Change the power plan."  There isn't a "Power Saver" mode.  I have run all updates (from MS and Dell).  I was tempted to resetting the one-month old notebook.  But thought that it shouldn't be.  I want to give the benefit of doubt.
  2. When the notebook is put on AC (battery being charged), it will automatically switch to "high performance" mode.  If I switch to other modes (balanced or Dell mode), it switches back on its own in about 5 seconds (sometimes longer).  Someone has reported this issue in other notebook model - not resolved yet as far as I understand.  
  3. When in high performance mode (which I don't need at all at work, this is no gaming business ), the fan MUST kicks in, getting very very noisy - doesn't fit a high-end model intended for business use.  Attention-catching as well in quiet business environment when my unit is most noisy one.  I don't quite understand the rationale why we are forced to use high-performance mode when charging up.  Don't see in other brands of notebooks (I doubled checked).  
  4. On the battery settings, again, after I changed the power % to kick start the Battery Saver, it will bounce back to its "default" stage.  
  5. I have tried turning on and off the Power Optimizer functions - each time running long enough to see if they might help.  No, they didn't help.  
  6. It seems that Dell puts in a lot of intelligent (controlling) designs on power management, leaving us with few (or no) choices.  Fact is (being an experienced notebook user), we are supposed to be able to customize.
  7. If Dell's rationale is force "high performance" when charging, I suggest they do more homework reducing the intruding fan noise.  Present noise level isn't really pacifying.  

October 10th, 2020 17:00

How are you liking the 7410? Seems like fan noise is an issue? I was looking into this laptop as my next one

12 Posts

October 13th, 2020 21:00

Despite the "higher" price, the 7410 is a good unit - now I can say. The unit is sturdy, well built, screen is good, keyboard is good....  

I take this opportunity to report my recent "taming" of the unit - having been annoyed since early Sept 2020 (when acquiring the unit) by the high-pitch fan noise and automatic switching to High Performance power plan (they are related).

I found the culprit to be the "Dell Optimization" program that comes with the unit.  There is an "Applications" section within.  It tries to optimize user-selected applications.  By optimizing, it optimizes/maximizes performance of these applications, hence pushing up CPU and related usage.  So the unit automatically switches to High Performance power plan - regardless my choice. 

I turned off the "Applications" part of the Dell Optimization program, changed the Quiet mode in Dell Power Manager (which didn't help with fan noise problem).  The unit has stayed at "Dell power plan" and stay very quiet - even when on AC charging mode.  As mentioned before, the unit works very well in battery mode.

Fan noise problem is gone.  So now I can say the unit is a worthy buy.  Except that I notice a greenish column that takes up about 1/5 of the screen sometimes after waking up from hibernation/sleep.  It will pale and fade about 10 seconds later.  Having reported the issues for month, Dell has yet to address this issue.  Given it doesn't affect usage, I can wait - got the 3-year warranty package.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2020 11:00

Hi,

Sorry, it is not clear for me, how did you solve the very noisy fan problem during charging.

My settings are same as you mentioned (Applications are desabled in Dell Optimizer, and quiet mode is selected in Dell Power Manager.)

Should I make any other settings change?

Thanks in advance!

Recze

12 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 06:00

There is a Dell Optimizing program with the unit.  I don't remember if I installed it myself.  It was there almost since day one.  Dell says it's a built-in program.  Check if it is installed on your unit.  One thing they "optimize" is Power/Programs (I am not using the Dell 7410 now, so don't remember clearly, more on that later).  I guess their brilliant rationale equates "optimizing" with "maximizing."  When the option is enable, the unit appears to maximize power on all programs chosen (to be optimized), hence switching to High Performance Power plan. When power is optimized, any change of power plan other than High Power will switch back automatically to High Performance plan, causing the annoying fan noise.  If the power optimizing function is disabled, the unit runs on Balanced Mode (or Dell mode), and allows change of power plan.  

The resulting fan noise is much lower.  It's still audible, but much better than before, comparable to an Acer Swift 5 I have been using (same config, less than 1Kg weight, cheaper by at least 30%, I "assigned" it to my family member and bought the 7410. ).  It's still hotter compared.  But the fan noise (which I am afraid is common to most notebooks) is acceptable.  

See if this works for you.  

12 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 08:00

Final update on my case.  I said good-bye to the 7410 2-in-1 unit (less than 3 months owning the notebook).  As reported earlier, the fan noise was tamed to acceptable level.  Heat issue remained, a lap warmer, but acceptable still.  

What drew me nuts was Dell servicing function.  Within first few days of use, I noteiced an intermittent greenish column, taking 1/4 of screen size.  I didn't pay much notice (knowing the unit was on 3-year warranty).  I concentrated on the fan noise issue.  Heat issue, I can handle the lap warming condition.   When the INT greenish column appeared more frequent, I requested for servicing.  For a week, they didn't respond.  Only when I called again, a serviceman came.  Screen was replaced (on a new unit less than 2 months of use!!).  Unit started cutting off without warning (not normal shut down) hours after screen was replaced.  Called Dell servicing near mid-night.  Same guy came next day, checked the unit, said it might be PCB board or battery failure.  Nothing happened for weeks.  Then an agent called saying they would come replacing the screen.  Drove me crazy.  The agent looked very much like an out-sourced service provider of Dell's (she said they received order from Dell to replace the screen - when the problem had shifted for weeks to sudden power-down).  I gave up.  Requested return of unit (for refund).  

I switched to a Taiwan brand 2-in-1 unit.  Higher specs (i7), better features, much lighter,  longer battery life, fan barely audible in whatever mode.  Not hot even on AC mode (Dell 7410 was particularly hot when on AC mode).  At two-thirds of net price I paid for the 7410.  Superb, the best I have used out of my nearly 30 years' use of notebook computers (my first company-assigned notebook was Packard Bell).  

What could DELL learn?  They have put a mediocre unit (unusually heavy - though sturdy) inside a premium and expensive exterior.  Not enough design review was done in, resulting fan and heat issues, and software issue (as seen in the forced High Performance Plan when Optimizing program was turned on).  A well intention feature (optimizing the applications) - without articulation between software and hardware guys - turns out to be a most annoying issue.  

The use of an outsourced company to cover such important field servicing function is seriously questionable.  Such practice is common in other brands.  But it seems Dell hasn't had good comm (and control?) with the vendor.  I wouldn't have returned the unit if the field servicing provider had done their job. 

Decades after not-bad experience using Dell notebooks, I returned opting to using Dell notebook again (my organization uses Dell server and desktops, so far so good).  Bad experience.  I don't know when I will come back again (time allowing).  

No Events found!