Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

R

2 Posts

February 19th, 2019 01:00

Dell E5440 power adapter compatibility

Hello, I have two chargers in my home that I use in my Dell Latitude E5420. One is the DA130PE1-00 (P/N: JU012) and the other is a LA130PM121 (P/N: VJCH5). My question is if they are compatible with the Dell Latitude E5440 I just got. Is there a datasheet I might be able to check? I really didn't want to use the wrong adapter. Thank you in advance, Rui

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

February 19th, 2019 07:00

@rpcaldeira wrote:
Hello, I have two chargers in my home that I use in my Dell Latitude E5420. One is the DA130PE1-00 (P/N: JU012) and the other is a LA130PM121 (P/N: VJCH5). My question is if they are compatible with the Dell Latitude E5440 I just got. Is there a datasheet I might be able to check? I really didn't want to use the wrong adapter. Thank you in advance, Rui

What are the output voltages and currents on the label for these two adapters?

I have the first one and it is 19.5V , 6.7A.  I use it on my E6230.

If the DC voltage is greater than that of your laptop, then you shouldn't use it.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 19th, 2019 08:00

Dell was very good about maintaining power adapter compatibility according to connector style, which is to say that if you have a genuine Dell power adapter and the connector physically fits into the system, you are not at risk of breaking anything.  However, in order for the system to perform properly, the wattage of the power adapter you're using must be at least the wattage the system is designed for.  I believe an E5440 is designed for at least a 65W adapter, but I'm not sure.  Check the wattage on the adapter your system actually shipped with to confirm.  If you use a lower wattage adapter than that, then your system will charge its battery more slowly, possibly throttle performance in an attempt to consume less power, and warn you about an undersized power adapter.  Note that it is perfectly fine to connect a higher wattage adapter because the system will only draw the wattage it requires.  I've had a Dell 130W AC adapter in my living room for over a decade and have used it with Dell systems designed for anywhere from 45-130W, and it's never been an issue.

@nyc10036is correct that using a power source with a higher voltage than the device is designed to accept can risk damage, but Dell has used 19.5V for all of their AC adapters that use the barrel-style connector.  The wattage differentiation between various adapters is achieved by offering different max amperage, but again the system will only draw that if it can actually use it.

February 21st, 2019 03:00

Hello all! Thank you but I ended up buying from the Dell Store the recommended adapter just to be on the safe side :) Thank you one more time :) Rui
No Events found!