Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

14 Posts

March 1st, 2019 02:00

Dell E6430 with 130W PSU

I have been given a Latutude E6430 and docking station, but I don't have a Dell power supply.  The laptop runs on a non-Dell power supply of the correct voltage and adequate current, but of course without charging the laptop battery.  I know that the laptop can use a Dell 90W power supply, but the docking station requires a Dell 130W power supply.  I know the voltage is the same on these two Dell power supplies, and that usually the current does not matter as this will be determined by the current draw of the laptop.

However, these power supplies use a 1-wire interface which signals to the laptop the power supply's power rating and this prevents non-Dell power supplies from being used to charge the laptop battery (althought they will power the laptop itself).  My questions are:

- can anyone confirm that when using the 130W power supply plugged in directly to an E6430 laptop it will not only run the laptop but it will charge the battery in the laptop?

- has anyone experienced any long term problems with using the 130W supply directly with the laptop in this way? 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 2nd, 2019 10:00

@peterfelgate wrote:

- has anyone experienced any long term problems with using the 130W supply directly with the laptop in this way? 

There won't be a problem.  Why would there be?

I use a more powerful Dell AC adapter PA-4E with my E6230 instead of the 65W it came with.

Just because the car can go to 200 mph and you drive it at 65 mph, doesn't mean you are going to "break" your car!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 2nd, 2019 11:00

I can't speak to the use of non-Dell power supplies (except in the case of USB-C power supplies on systems that support them, which this system doesn't), but I've had a Dell 130W power supply in my living room for about a decade, during which time I've used it with several Dell systems that were designed from anywhere from 45-130W, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

No Events found!