Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

7 Posts

May 17th, 2022 09:00

Dell Latitude 5420 audio stopped working

Hey everyone. I have a Latitude 5420 where the audio just stopped working. I searched through the forums and this looks to be a known issue with no official fix. I've done the following with no luck.

• Ran Dell Command Update tool; installed updates
  • Downloaded latest Realtek audio driver from Dell’s website (6.0.9261.1 A10); restarted PC
  • Ran audio troubleshooter; no results
  • Looked at Device Manager; “Audio inputs and outputs” missing
  • Restarted Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services; running; set to automatic start
  • Checked event viewer; Intel and Waves audio service errors appear; “system cannot find file specified”
  • Uninstalled latest update; KB5013942; restarted PC
  • Installed Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application; restarted PC

Hoping to get an official fix for this.

May 18th, 2022 12:00

I worked with Dell Support and the following steps have fixed this issue with the Dell Latitude 5420. I will post the steps for the solution below:

1. Press Windows+R. In the Run window type, 'appwiz.cpl'

2. Look for Realtek Audio and uninstall it.

3. Right-click on Start and select Device Manager

4. Expand System Devices here.

5. Right-click and Disable all entries that say Intel Smart Sound Technology.

6. Now, restart your machine and install the Realtek driver from here and then Waves Maxx application from here.

• 

25.7K Posts

Hello, We see you are looking for assistance. If you need our help, you can start a Private message with us, and we will be happy to assist you.

I've sent a PM, but will keep the thread open for responses.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

May 20th, 2022 11:00

Thank you for sharing the solution on this! 

June 21st, 2022 07:00

My solution should work for you

16 Posts

June 21st, 2022 07:00

Does this workaround still work for you?  

1 Message

November 22nd, 2022 10:00

I had this same issue and just tried your solution and it worked halfway, the headphone is getting sound when plugged in now, but still no output from  my Realtek speakers.

Thanks for the help all the same, will appreciate if you can help to solve the outstanding issue.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

Intel Smart Sound devices and drivers disappear from device manager after removing RealTek audio so there is nothing to disable.  After the reinstall of the RealTek, all of the Intel Smart Sound devices automatically appear back in device manager and the sound problem persists.  How do I permanently disable the Intel Smart Sound devices as it seems that the installation of RealTek drives put them right back?  Do I uninstall them from device manger before removing RealTek Audio?  Any help is appreciated.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 11:00

Update: Installing the specific driver that @stable_ycel links to above have corrected the issue.  At least it's been stable for over an hour.  The specific Realtek driver needed is version 6.0.9261.1 from 11/2/2021.  Any driver newer than that causes the problem immediately, even the default driver windows will install.  To prevent driver updates, I added local group policy restrictions for that specific driver hardware IDs. 

No Events found!