Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 07:00

Dell Latitude 5490 not coming back from sleep mode Ubuntu 16.04

Hi

I have 20 Laptops Dell Latitude 5480/90 with Ubuntu 16.04/18.04

All of them have the same problem, when enters in sleep mode, screen turn off and not light back when coming back from sleep.

I describe the differents test that i do to solve this problem:

1- Update the firmware: Currently i update to the last version 1.10.1 (12 sep. 2019) but the problem persist

2- Ubuntu update: run commands "apt get update" "apt get upgrade",  but the problem persist

3- Change Ubuntu version: At the begining i have 16.04 so i think that if upgrade the version the problem will disapear, then i installed 18.04 but the problem persist

4- Contact dell suport: When i contact dell support they told me that Ubuntu have limited support, so they didn't give me an answer about my problem, and recommend to post my problem here in the comunity

The only way to solve this problem that i found is avoid th laptop enters in sleep mode. I post the options selected:

Configurar Ubuntu Suspension 1.jpgConfigurar Ubuntu Suspension 2.jpg

And finally when i Lock the computer i need to focus in the password field, and with all this steps, the problem dissapear.

I want to know if any other have the same problem, and if you found another solution to this problem.

Thanks

1 Message

March 3rd, 2020 23:00

I have the exact same issue. Ubuntu 18.04 Latitude5590. I also tried to upgrade the kernel using UKUU (ubuntu kernel update utility). I got the newest kernel but it didn't solve it.

May 26th, 2021 13:00

Hi,

I want to say that I have the exact same problem with Dell Latitude 5490. I did the same steps as the original poster (firmware update, etc.).

The problem did not resolve itself when I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04LTS.

May 31st, 2021 10:00

I did find that clicking to put the computer to sleep while still in Ubuntu worked (instead of simply closing the lid). It is not the expected behavior of the computer, as simply closing the lid should work, but it is a bypass that could be useful.

I also had the problem when an external monitor was connected through HDMI. In that case, I followed these steps:

1- Open the lid of the laptop

2- Have the screen displayed on the two monitors at the same time

3- Unplug the HDMI cable (the external monitor becomes irrelavant, and all is brought back on the screen of the laptop)

4- Put my computer in sleep mode while still in Ubuntu by clicking on the Session menu

5- Close the lid

When I did this, my Dell Latitude 5490 on Ubuntu 20.04LTS woke up about in about 75% of cases when I opened the lid later on. It's not perfect, but it's less of a hassle than searching on the Internet for hours.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2023 04:00

Just updated the bios to the latest version (1.27.1, 24 Feb 2023) and the problem persists. There's no envisioned solution for this? No clue over what the problem is?

1 Message

December 27th, 2023 20:58

@FerCesar​ I have the same problem with the dell latitude 5490 using Ubuntu, did you find the solution?

1 Message

December 28th, 2023 10:50

Hello,

I have the same problem with a Latitude 5490, BIOS updated to 1.32 (dec. 2023): I tried ubuntu from stock version (22.04.03 LTS): suspend mode does not wake up apart using a force reboot (pressing power button for 7 seconds.).

=> can you give us some means to make either the lid sleep or the hibernate mode working with ubuntu as guaranted by Dell ?

regards

No Events found!