Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

May 10th, 2019 07:00

Dell Latitude E5430 possible BIOS issue

Hi,

yesterday i put an ssd on my Dell E5430, after installing windows 7 the computer gave me the error "Invalid partition table", so i decided to go in the one time boot menu and go manually inside windows, and it worked, later i decided to solve that error, so i changed boot order, now the computer boots up to the Dell logo, and later a black screen with a white blinking cursor appears, i tried to get in the one time boot menu (f12) and that screen appears, tried to go in the bios and that screen appears, i tried to diagnose the computer too (with fn + power button) but the computer does nothing, that screen appears again.

I tried to start the computer with the wifi card and the hdd removed, but nothing even with the hdd removed that back screen appears again. the only way to turn off the computer is by holding the power button, ctrl + alt + canc does not work.

This is not the first time that my (and not only mine) laptop has bios isues, later solved with a bios update.

The laptop has the latest bios firmware (9 Jan 2019).

I have a video that can demonstrate the issue, i will post it only if needed.

Thanks

P.S. this is the short story of yesterday, if you whant the long one ask me...

247 Posts

May 12th, 2019 06:00

I assume you disabled Secure Boot in bios because Win 7 does not support it. Also Dell has a habit of setting storage type to RAID not AHCI which can cause issues. Did the drive have a previous Linux partition which might have a grub partition conflicting with Windows boot manager. Would have to run startup repair or manually delete grub partition through terminal commands. Or simply wipe drive cleanly making sure all partitions removed with a bootable USB or optical disk containing a Partition  app. Best of luck

5 Posts

May 12th, 2019 07:00

It didn't had any Linux installation, however I tried to format the disk, and that black screen appeared again, no errors where displayed, now with another computer I am installing Ubuntu 18.04 and I will see if it works, I will keep you updated

5 Posts

May 12th, 2019 08:00

As I suspected, the computer does not boot, what's interesting is that in a normal computer If I start typing rundom keys fast the computer beeps, but this one doesn't, how is this possible? I just re configured the bios, did I find a bug in the new firmware? 

2 Posts

December 17th, 2019 13:00

i have the same problem.Black screen.

Any solutions?

2 Posts

January 7th, 2020 10:00

when boot close the lid and open again  ...

No Events found!