Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

August 10th, 2019 12:00

Dell Latitude E7440 won't boot

I have connected my laptop to the A.C. connector and it shows that it is charging. However when I press the power button, the machine will wait for a few seconds and then turn off. The charging LED will blink slowly 2 to 3 times and then return to a solid state. When I disconnect the A.C. connector, the charging LED goes away.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 10th, 2019 14:00

Could be a failing or failed battery. How old is the battery? Try removing the battery and use the charger alone. If that works and you don't need the mobility of a laptop, use the computer as a desktop replacement and save the $120 expense of a new battery

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Shirls1002 

Try resetting your CMOS/BIOS. 

Disconnect the AC adapter.

Remove the "Main Battery" and "Base Cover" 

Disconnect the "BIOS Battery" and hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds.

At this time if you have a Volt Meter check the battery.

It should be 2-3 volts.

Reassemble and power-on.

It may take pushing the power button 3-4 times to power-on the first time.

You will need to go into the BIOS and reset Date and Time.

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

January 6th, 2020 15:00

I need help! I have tried it all. Currently have my laptop connected to the docking station with battery removed. The laptop starts, keyboard lights up and power button is lit, but Dell splash screen never turns on. When the battery is in, it gets really hot. Same things happen. Lights but no boot screen. Have tried to hard rest and it doesn't work. 

35 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 02:00

Hi I have a similar issue with my E7440 which won't power on. For my case, it seems that there is a short circuit in the laptop's power circuit, because if I connect an AC Adapter to the laptop, the power indicator on the AC Adapter will go off. Normally for this model (E7440), what are some of the common root cause of such "short circuit?" By the way I don't think there were any water damage with this laptop. It somehow just one day decided NOT to boot up, and that's about it.

Any tips that could help me to troubleshoot would be highly appreciate. Thanks!

No Events found!