Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

September 20th, 2021 12:00

Dell Lattitude 7490 work with LG Ultrafine 4k 24"?

HI all

I have a Dell Latitude 7490 which has a port:

DisplayPort over USB Type-C (optional Thunderbolt 3)

I plug the thunderbolt cable from LG Ultrafine 4k 24" monitor into that above port and I hear the audio from the Dell going through the speakers but no video shows up on monitor. When I go to advanced display options, it sees the LG Ultrafine monitor but says 'inactive'.  

I tried also using the USBC cable from the monitor to the Dell PC an same thing - audio but no video on the monitor and when I go to display advanced settings, it sees the monitor but says 'inactive'.  

What can be the issue?  Is this LG Ultrafine 4k monitor only for Macs? I originally bought it from Apple store and it works easily with the Thunderbolt cable from monitor to Mac no problem.

Any advice?  Do I need another certain adapter? I've tried many and none work so far.  Or do I need to buy a different monitor altogether?  One that can work with both Dell and Mac?

THanks!
Pam

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 20th, 2021 17:00

@PaEl  Is this an actual Thunderbolt display or a USB-C display? I can’t tell since you didn’t specify an exact model, and LG has made multiple Ultrafine 24” displays. If it’s Thunderbolt, does your system have that optional Thunderbolt 3 capability or just a regular USB-C port with video output? All 7490s have that physical port, but its capabilities vary, and if you have a display that requires Thunderbolt connected to a regular USB-C system that doesn’t support Thunderbolt, that isn’t going to work.

Otherwise, so you have any other displays connected at the same time? And if Windows Display Settings detects the display as Inactive, what happens if you select it in the diagram at the top of the display settings window and then try to choose Extend mode below, for example?

6 Posts

September 21st, 2021 13:00

Got with my work/cpmany IT finally and figured it out.  THank you!

No Events found!