Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2020 10:00

Dell WD19 Docking station

I have 2 older model flat panel monitors, a Dell 1905FP and an HP L1945w. I have the provided DVI and VGA connectors, but these do not work with the new Dell Docking station I am now using with my Latitude 5400. It's a Dell WD-19 and doesn't have the slots needed for those connectors. I need guidance on what I need to buy in order to connect these monitors to the new docking station.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2020 14:00

@KLNBPT  unfortunately images uploaded here are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators, until they get approved for broader viewing -- so as of this writing I can't see what you've posted.  But this link is an example of a suitable item, and the image shows the connectors on each end so you can see what the cable should look like.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2020 13:00

@jphughanthank you for the quick response! Is this the correct item?

Annotation.png

Thanks again!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2020 13:00

Both of those displays have DVI inputs, and since VGA is the only analog display connector left, while DVI and all other display connectors these days are digital, that means VGA doesn't look as good as anything else.  So I would recommend ditching VGA and using DVI with both displays instead.  The image should be a bit sharper.  To that end, I would buy a pair of DisplayPort to DVI cables and call it a day.  They're not very expensive or particularly difficult to find.

Or considering that you have a shiny new system and dock that you're trying to pair with a pair of old displays, one of which isn't even widescreen, it might be worth considering new displays.  You might be surprised how much more productive you can be with even a pair of 24" 1080p displays, which aren't very expensive especially if you buy them used.  The extra display real estate does make a huge difference.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2020 14:00

@jphughanPerfect - thank you so very much!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2020 08:00

@KLNBPT  happy to help!  By the way, the image you uploaded finally came through.  That's an adapter rather than a cable, so if you buy the adapter, you'll also need DVI cables.  The product I suggested is a full cable, so with that option you wouldn't need anything else.  If the adapter you found is cheaper than the cable I found AND you already have two DVI cables you can use with those adapters, then you can go that route.  Otherwise I'd recommend just getting a full cable that already has the correct connectors for your purposes on each end.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 18:00

@Samw01  Short answer: Neither setup will work with that system, and dual FHD + 4K wouldn't work through the WD19 with ANY system, assuming you wanted the standard 60 Hz across the board.

Longer answer: The Inspiron 5491 uses Intel's Core 10th Gen CPUs, but NOT the "Ice Lake" CPUs that have models ending with a "G" followed by a number and incorporate a new GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 over USB-C.  Instead, it uses the "U Series" 10th Gen CPUs, which still have the older UHD Graphics GPU that only supports DisplayPort 1.2/HBR2.  The WD19 like the vast majority of USB-C docks configures the USB-C link to support both video and USB 3.x, which means you only have half of a DisplayPort interface available (rather than a full interface, since that would require only running USB 2.0 data).  Half of a DisplayPort 1.2 interface is only enough bandwidth to run dual displays up to 1920x1200 each or a single display up to 1440p 60 Hz (or 4K 30 Hz).  But even if you had a DP 1.4/HBR3 system, you'd only be able to run triple 1080p, dual 1440p 60 Hz, or a single 4K 60 Hz display.

The only way to run the display setups you're asking about from a DP 1.2/HBR2 system would be to use Thunderbolt 3, which exposes two full DP 1.2 interfaces, i.e. 4x more bandwidth than you get with the WD19.  But the WD19 doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 (that's why there's a WD19TB), and your system doesn't support it either.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 18:00

I am struggling to find some consistent information for Inspiron 5491 2in1 compatibility with WD19 docking station. In particular I want to establish whether I connect 3 FHD  or 2 FHD and 1 4K monitor with DisplayPort in daisy change (MST) mode or other method as long as I don't have to add and remove multiple connections from the Inspiron each time I have to connect. 

I believe the Inspiron usb-c is capable of both power charging and DSP connection. I have both UHD and nVidia GForce GPU in my system. 

1 Message

November 29th, 2020 22:00

Hi, @jphughan 

I have a Dell Laptop 5400 with Docking W19. Can I connect FOUR MONITORS to this laptop with W19?

When I am connecting the fourth monitor, one of the display is getting disabled automatically and at a time only three were getting enabled. 

Regards

Sreejin PS

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2020 06:00

@sreejips  No you can’t. First of all the WD19 wouldn’t receive anywhere near enough bandwidth to run four displays of any meaningful resolution, especially since the Latitude 5400 is a DisplayPort 1.2/HBR2 system. That means the WD19 with that system could handle dual displays up to 1920x1200 and doesn’t officially support any triple display setups due to insufficient bandwidth. And second, the Intel GPU in that system only supports 3 total displays anyway. You could connect the additional displays via USB dongles that relied on “indirect display” technology like DisplayLink — not to be confused with DisplayPort. Those could be plugged into the dock’s USB ports since their video data would be sent as USB data rather than video data, and they wouldn’t count toward the GPU max display limit either, but DisplayLink has drawbacks that I’ve written about in the post marked as the answer in this thread.

No Events found!