Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2018 13:00

Display port

Hi there 

This is my first time posting . 

I have a latitude e6410 . I was using this through the display port to hdmi on my 10 year old hd tv (worked great) .

I have just bought a new 4k TV , but now the picture is the wrong size and I have no sound ... Using same cable (only change is the TV) , is there a fix for this ???

I don't want to buy a new laptop when this one works perfectly for my needs . 

Thanks 

Ian 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2018 14:00

Are you sure it's just the left and right sides getting cut off rather than some off the top and bottom as well?  If it's all sides, that would be called overscan, and some TVs always overscan a bit when they're receiving a signal at a resolution other than their native resolution, which you wouldn't be able to send to this new TV from that system.  But if it's just the left and right edges, that means your PC is either sending a signal that's proportionally wider than the TV's aspect ratio, or the TV is stretching the video it's receiving from your PC only along the horizontal axis and even though doing so is causing some of the edges to be off-screen, which wouldn't make sense.  But again I ask, if you check Windows Display Settings on your PC while connected to the new TV, what resolution are you sending?  Make sure it's 1920x1080.  And can you confirm you've got it set up in Extend Mode rather than Mirror Mode in order to rule out issues trying to match whatever is being displayed on your built-in panel on the TV?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 18th, 2018 13:00

HD isn't 4K - and the old Latitude isn't capable of driving a 4K monitor. 

You CAN get audio (hook up the headphone jack to the TV input) but there's no way hardware as old as the E6410 will drive a 4K monitor -- you simply cannot get a full screen on a 4K TV out of it.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 18th, 2018 14:00

As ejn63 said, it is unlikely you'll be able to send a 4K signal from that system.  You certainly won't be able to send a 4K 60 Hz signal out of that system.  However, you should still be able to send a 1080p signal to your TV and have your TV display it properly.  What exactly do you mean when you say that "the picture is the wrong size"?  Is it stretched, overscanned, letterboxed, pillarboxed, surrounded on all sides by black bars, what?  Have you checked your Windows Display Settings to see what resolution your system is sending?  Make sure it's on 1920x1080, and you might also want to choose Extend mode rather than Mirror to avoid potential issues making your laptop and TV display the same image, especially if your laptop uses a different panel and/or aspect ratio.  If you still have issues, check the settings of the TV itself since TVs often have various picture "fitment" options.

For audio, go to Control Panel > Sound and make sure your Intel Graphics audio output is selected as the default playback device, since that's what sends audio out of HDMI.  If you still don't have sound, do you have Hyper-V installed on your system?  If so, there's a known issue with some older Intel GPUs that prevents HDMI audio from working with Hyper-V is enabled, which I know because I own an affected system.  It's been discussed for years on the Intel forums and nothing has been done, so I doubt those older systems will ever be fixed.  The only workaround is to set up a secondary Windows boot option that allows it to start without the hypervisor active.  That will get you HDMI audio, but then of course you can't use Hyper-V until you restart your system and boot normally.

October 19th, 2018 13:00

Ok maybe I explained it wrong . i'm  not trying to send a 4k signal , I only mean my new TV can do 4k . 

The picture is cutting some of the left and right side off . 

As I said everything worked fine on old TV 720 HD , sound was perfect as was picture . 

New TV there is no sound at all and left and right of picture is off the screen .

If I only move HDMI cable to old TV it works perfect , move cable to new TV and no sound and picture is dropped at each side (note the picture on new TV goes right to edges of screen) , no settings or anything being changed on laptop , both TV's are set to auto size picture (I have tried all settings for picture size on new TV) .

As said I'm not looking to send a 4k signal to the new TV , only want a good picture and sound . 

Ok I got it ...

After switching to projector only and changing the default sound it was all most there . Actually had to change picture size on TV to "full" instead of "auto" , picture is now the correct size (filling the screen) and sound is good .. 

Thanks for your help on this , it was driving me nuts . Couldn't understand why old TV worked fine but not the new one ...

Again thanks very much 

Ian 

Hi thanks for getting back to me . 

Screen resolution is at 1920x1080 , refresh at 60Hz . 

I had been using in duplicate mode . But now set to projector only now , screen is cropped all round now (can maybe see half of bottom task bar) . What is on screen is a good picture .

I know have sound (after following advice)

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Excellent, glad I was able to help! :)

No Events found!