Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SK

February 4th, 2018 05:00

E5540 BIOS Upgrade problem and 30 sec delay before Dell logo

Hello

Recently I bought a used Dell E5540. Ive changed HDD to SSD (this step doesnt fix a problem which I describe below), put 1x8gb DDR3L RAM. So, what a problem? Two of them:

1. When PC starts after powering on it takes approximately the 30 sec delay before Dell logo appears. I have changed everything I think connected with this issue in BIOS, unput all peripherals, clearly install Windows 10 again and changed battery - nothing can fix this delay.

2. After all possible steps where done I decide to upgrade BIOS. Recent version - A13. I registered in Dell support, download and install all drivers, but BIOS A18 version upgrade cant install. It cant install under Windows, under DOS and command prompt and even from USB through F12 setup.

I think my first problem connected with BIOS but I cant upgrade it. May be someone have similar issue and can provide how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 5th, 2018 09:00

You disable any unnecessary programs running in the startup (Task Manager) ?

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support)

1 Message

November 29th, 2018 20:00

Hi, I am amazed to have found your having the same issue I am. I have the same exact Latitude model mode but I am stuck on BIOS version A05. Everything you have described I tried and beyond including. Did you ever get a solution for this? I see this thread is old but maybe a shot in the dark you could get back to me to let me know anything. PLEASE NOTE ALL THE INSTALLATIONS WERE ALSO ON BOTH A HDD AND SSD :(

1. Tried both Windows 7/10 (x64) installations (ult sp1/win pro 10 1803) -nope

2.  Both Legacy and UEFI - nothing

3. Changed RAM and clean BOTH slots -nothing

4. Changed CMOS battery (which both read the same with multimeter) - nothing

5. Installed BIOS directly via USB formatted from Dell Diagnostic Utility...and no good

6. Progressively installed BIOS starting with A07 -no good :(

7. Installed the Spectre Intel recommended A021 BIOS version (the boot loop issue had same mannerism described by a Spectre/Meltdown Version 2 Intel site documentation) -no good :(

The issue is obviously ALL BIOS related, but what gives?

1 Message

February 10th, 2019 07:00

I have exactly the same issue. Did you find a solution? In my case the e5440 is failing the first start taking a lot of time to show the dell logo and then switching off by itself. The second time it runs well. No way to update the BIOS (currently A18) to the A23 version. Tryied exactly the same steps as you did. Please let me know if you have found any solution.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2019 09:00

Hi, I had the same problems you and other are describing.

1. The first problem is that I was unable to update bios. Have tried all possible sw solutions and none of them worked for me. The issue related to old bios version was unable to wake up computer after going to sleep/suspend.
Finally I found bought and re-solder BIOS memory flash chips on the board. The chips comes with latest BIOS version so I did not try to update it any further.

2. The second problem is the HUGE almost 60 seconds delay BEFORE Dell logo shows and I can enter setup or do anything else. This issue I was unable to fix and it still persist.

It is big shame that I found lots of people suffering with this issue, however Dell is silent, not offering any solution. It is their defective design which is causing the troubles in the first place. And fact that E5540 is older laptop is no excuse!

205 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 10:00

After doing a bit of research, it seems that if the Latitude BIOS has "Intel Virtualization" enabled, then the BIOS update will fail - something to check just in case.

If it was enabled, try Windows, DOS and USB updates as it's YMMV as to whether Windows works at this point.

205 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 10:00

Have any of you run the Dell diagnostic program at startup and seen if there are any issues?

If there are simple problems like the CMOS battery dying or a MB issue then it should pop up an error.

I am working on that exact model right now (E5540 - i7-4610M, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 1080p) and easily updated to the latest BIOS a few months ago. System is still running strong and fast and better than a lot of 5th and 6th-gen "U" i7' Latitudes I've tried as possible upgrades.

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems.

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 14:00

Reporting in with the same problem.

E5440 that hangs 15-30 seconds before booting up.  Also completely unable to update the BIOS (was on A18).  Tried in Windows (10 ent), and using the DELL utility (w BIOS on a USB).  At best it would ask if you wanted to allow the program to make changes then nothing.  The BIOS utility would ask for the file, say ready to go, restart... and then never begin the flash.

Tried another CMOS, reseating RAM, reimaging laptop, nothing worked. 

Tried disabling VT and the second (VT for direct I/O?) and then was able to flash the BIOS, as the poster above me suggested. 

No Events found!