Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 18th, 2018 14:00

E6540 No boot

Dell Latitude E6540 won't boot most of time.

Power On = Solid, Keyboard lights sometimes, HD usually on for second or so.

Then black screen, no cursor, never gets to circular Dell logo. If it gets to Dell logo, always boots fine.

Have done suggested procedures, like bleeding power from system with no battery / AC., and RAM board tests one RAM slot at a time.

When a good boot, have done all diagnostics available to me, including checking BIOS setup, ePSA, and Dell's Support Assist. Everything, RAM - CMOS - HD - System Board - Display - etc., etc., etc. checks out OK.

System holds date / time between power ups, which indicates to me CMOS battery is OK.

When a good boot, system runs fine and normal.

When problem first started, only failed to boot occasionally, now only boots occasionally.

Any ideas ? - hope its not motherboard - remember system Board passes OK.

205 Posts

September 18th, 2018 15:00

It's likely a slowly-dying motherboard, but I would also remove or adjust other hardware to see if that is the cause. What the Dell Diagnostic program says is worth about 2 dead flies when a component is going schizo - i.e. you can't test it when it's flaking out. 

Try taking out a stick of memory (if you have two) or rotate them, try them one at a time, etc. Remove the HD and see if it boots. Fool around with easily accessible hardware to see if there is something wrong with those.

4 Posts

December 16th, 2018 11:00

Hey - 

I have the exact same problem.  Thanks for being so clear in your description.  It's been tough to diagnose this issue.  I've disconnected all the components that are easy to disconnect with the back open, and have not been able to achieve any different behavior (other than the differences in the LEDs' on the bezel near the power button that exhibit different behavior when the memory is not present).

I'm wondering if there is any way to determine if the CPU is not working, but the motherboard IS working (and vice versa).  I have an identical E6540 working, that I could use to swap the CPU in/out from the machine that runs to the one that doesn't, but I'm a little afraid I might damage the good running machine. :)

Also, if I want to replace the motherboard/CPU (or both), how do I determine which motherboard is an exact replacement (I think I have some additional on-board features; graphics, etc.)?  Also, if I was able to find another similar CPU, is there a way to determine which CPU's are compatible in this motherboard (I know there are various CPU options in varying speeds, etc.)

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

1 Message

January 19th, 2020 00:00

Hello,

i have the same problem on my latitde e6540.

Did you solve the problem with the sometimes not starting up bios?

Thx

Dirk

1 Message

March 27th, 2021 07:00

I have exactly the same problem. Would be nice to hear if someone has found a solution.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2022 21:00

Hi all,

I know it is a quite old post but I am now facing the same issue with a Latitude E6540.
Do someone have a solution ?
I have already swap RAM, remove disks, clear the BIOS, ... no way, it still does not boot.

Thanks

No Events found!