Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

May 9th, 2020 08:00

Fingerprint driver for GNU/Linux

Dear developers,

Could you please pay attention to the problem of a missing driver for the 0a5c:5843 device on GNU/Linux? Here is a tread where developers and users of libfprint request your support:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/-/issues/221

Thanks in advance,

Anton K.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 09:00

I'd like to express my support of this request. Thanks in advance for considering Linux fingerprint users as well.

The libfprint project is a great effort. It can only flourish with appropriate help.

1 Message

June 6th, 2020 12:00

i'm also interested in a linux driver for 0a5c:5843. Hope Dell will look into it quickly!

4 Posts

June 30th, 2020 04:00

I need this supported on my Precision 7750 which came with Ubuntu out of the box, but the fingerprint device is not recognized.

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 10:00

I was looking for a replacement for my 7480, I had many Dell computers, but they keep selling machines with this fingerprint reader that never worked on linux, even on computers that come out with ubuntu. sorry dell, but I'm going to find a thinkpad

1 Message

October 29th, 2020 09:00

We are on the tipping point where we buy more laptops with Linux (Ubuntu desktop) as we buy with Windows.

Dell not supporting the fingerprint reader from their own hardware is really a joke.

We are also looking for a another supplier now...

1 Message

January 30th, 2021 11:00

Spoiler

Hi folks!

Have you a linux driver for my 27c6:5301 fingerprint?

Is very important that you can relese a driver

Thanks!

1 Message

April 25th, 2021 00:00

Wait, you mean these machines are also sold with linux?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

June 5th, 2021 09:00

This is not a Dell specific problem as users at various manufacturer's sites have also been upset due to the lack of drivers. If you go to the Goodix forum, for instance, there are a volume of posts from users looking for the drivers. Goodix last stated that they will work with Dell to write drivers but as of this date there has been no further information from them. Hopefully Dell will approach the sensor manufacturer for additional information and support so the drivers can finally be issued.

June 5th, 2021 09:00

Hi, any news about it?

It's frustrating not to have Linux support for BCM58200, but it's worst that nobody at Dell answers anything about it. At least you should confirm that it is not planned to support it on Linux, but silence IMHO shows a lack of respect for your customer.

7 Posts

June 8th, 2021 19:00

+1, need a fingerprint driver for Dell Latitude 7420. Very good machine and everything works for linux except for the fingerprint sensor.

The ONLY reason why I didn't buy a Lenovo is that the machine is ubuntu certified https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/202010-28320

This is my 4th Dell laptop, please don't make me regret my decision and move to Lenovo.

On third parties involvement: Dell is a huge corp, if they make pressure to the provider they WILL do it. There is driver for Windows, I don't see why it will be harder for Linux

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2021 22:00

Same here. Latitude E5470 that's happily running Manjaro. Recently upgraded the touchpad/palmrest/keyboard to the Touchpoint version with the additional buttons and built-in fingerprint reader. Didn't expect to get it working, assuming the typical "treat Linux users like second-class citizens" mentality OEMs always seem to have. And, totally unsurprisingly, here we are. No drivers, no support.

Mostly just commenting here to be able to be subscribed, in case Dell responds here with news on driver support for Linux.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2021 09:00

I am also searching for a driver for the fingerprint reader 0a5c:5804 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with fingerprint swipe sensor

2 Posts

September 1st, 2021 13:00

Missing Linux device drivers are the reason I do not allow Dell laptops for my department.

4 Posts

September 15th, 2021 19:00

Dell this is actually insane, you ship a laptop with Linux and then don't support the hardware it comes with. What kind of PR disaster can we cause to get ya to listen? I wonder. Maybe they did a cost/benefit analysis and decided we weren't worth it, which is sad. And I'm mad. It's not even like there's not requests for it, this is one of the most kudosed posts on the forum.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 15th, 2021 20:00

Hi,

Unfortunately, no Dell drivers are available for Ubuntu (Linux) on the Support Site. All necessary drivers are native to the OS. You can checkout canonical for self-install guides.

-Supriya

No Events found!