Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

August 7th, 2022 21:00

Fingerprint sign in setup not working in Windows 10

Swiping over the fingerprint reader on a newly purchased refurbished Latitude E7450 seems not to do anything when attempting to set up the fingerprint sign in feature in Windows 10. The following screen remains indefinitely, and does not respond to fingerprint swipes:

DZShC

Windows Devices Manager lists the biometric device as "Control Vault w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor", reports it is working properly, and indicates it is using driver version 3.4.1.3 from 5/10/2016 by Broadcom.

Dell Support Assist shows no new driver or BIOS updates. I even downloaded and installed the most recent Control Vault driver (3.4.8.14 from 16 Nov 2016) and Control Vault firmware (3.4.10.0 also from 16 Nov 2016), but it made no difference.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=hgx2g&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=htf2m&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook

I see no indication of errors or malfunctions. There is just no response when attempting to set up Windows fingerprint sign in.

Is there anything else I can try to get the fingerprint sign in setup to work?

Is there a way to test if the fingerprint reader is working at all?

6 Posts

August 8th, 2022 03:00

Ensure the latest BIOS available for your computer installed. For more information, see Dell Knowledge Base article Dell BIOS Updates. 
Ensure that the latest Windows updates are installed, you can get the latest updates for Windows 10 from the Microsoft website. External Link
Browse to Dell Drivers & Downloads website.
You are given three options to identify and obtain drivers for your Dell Product.
Touch or click the listing for your computer under THIS PC. crediblebh

If you want more information you must see thishttps://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-in/000126053/how-to-download-and-install-the-fingerprint-reader-driver-for-your-computer-and-then-enroll-or-remove-your-fingerprint-using-windows-hello

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 8th, 2022 05:00

You have a 7 year old 2015 model that did not originally have a fingerprint reader. Hello does not work on old models even though it is listed in Setup and Passwords.  Manual-- 

Dell Latitude E7450 Owner's Manual | Dell US

Set up a regular password and pin. 

4 Posts

August 8th, 2022 10:00

The BIOS, fingerprint reader drivers and firmware, and Windows updates are all at the latest versions.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2022 11:00

What do you mean it did not originally have a fingerprint reader? It is built into the laptop, has drivers available since launch, and Windows Device Manager sees the biometric device and reports it as working properly.

The link you shared is about a System Password for the BIOS. I'm talking about Windows 10 user login options.

Regular password login is already set up. I'm just trying to also add a fingerprint sign in option, which is displayed in the Windows Sign-in options screen in Settings. Notice in the screenshot that Face login is correctly indicated as unavailable since the laptop does not have the necessary hardware, unlike Fingerprint which by all indications should work:

windows_signin_options.png

4 Posts

August 8th, 2022 12:00

I found several Warning entries in Windows Event Manager that might be related, titled "Microsoft-Windows-User Device Registration/Admin":

Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched.
Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Windows Hello for Business post-logon provisioning is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by none policy.
Cloud trust for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
User account has Cloud TGT: Not Tested
See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=832647 for more details.

Maybe this provides some hints?

I don't know why it mentions Windows Hello for Business or Cloud trust. The computer is set up as a local account.

Additionally, I found that TPM was not enabled in BIOS, so I enabled it since Fingerprint probably requires it. Still no difference.

No Events found!