Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

50 Posts

January 4th, 2020 02:00

How can i unlock bios for increese TDP?

Hi friends. I m from spain and I have a dell e6440, FHD screen and AMD. My old processor was i7-4600m 2 cores 37W. Two days ago I bought i7-4910qm 47W processor   . Any people say that i need modify CPU TDP and modify the BIOS. I try to understand how can i to do that. I know that I need to editor hexadecimal no more. I hope you can help me. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2020 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Ajbb00 

As long as your BIOS is up to date you should not need to "Modify" anything.

Dell Latitude E6440 System BIOS:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r5mdj&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-e6440-laptop

Because of the increase of the TDP you may need/want to increase your AC adapter to the next higher wattage???

Because of the increase in the TDP your run time on battery will be shorter.

Best regards,

U2

50 Posts

January 4th, 2020 03:00

Thank you for ur help . But you don’t understand me . If i dont to do that . I can’t use the maximum performance to i7 4910mq 4 core. Or don’t exist any problem for use a processor with 4 core and 47w ?

Other people said me that dell e6440 only sale with 4600 m like maximum whit 2 core and 37w. Then now i have upgraded my processor. 
if i m wrong please explain. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2020 04:00

@Ajbb00 

I upgrade the E6420 XFR to a Quad Core all the time and have never had to modify the BIOS???

All you need to do is update the BIOS and install the CPU with new thermal paste.

No adjusting or modifying is required for the CPU to function at its maximum performance.

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 4th, 2020 08:00

@Ajbb00  Dell does not allow performing these types of modifications to its BIOS, and did you even consider the power and cooling ramifications of this swap?  You just installed a CPU that consumes 27% more power and generates more heat.  I don't think Dell ever sold the E6440 with quad-core CPUs, so there's a decent chance that the AC adapter supplied with that system might not be adequate for the higher power draw you've just created and/or that the laptop's cooling system might not be able to properly support a CPU that generates that additional heat.  Laptop cooling systems are often designed with fairly narrow tolerances.  Just because you're able to physically able to piece of hardware does not mean that your system will be able to run it properly.  Best case is probably that your system will either run its fans noticeably louder, but the more likely outcome is that even if you were able to unlock the higher TDP, the laptop would end up having to throttle the CPU's performance to keep chassis temperatures safe and/or to keep power draw within the budget of your system's AC adapter, in which case you might not end up even being able to use the new CPU's extra performance.

50 Posts

January 4th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for all your recomendation but the new processor is 10w more than original. In effect dell never sold processor with 4 cores. Actually I have adapter other cooler in the optical space. I needed a aluminum and ceramic to do that . My temperature is 45- 75 centigrade. But I don’t know if i ‘ll need unlook TDP. I use too throttlestop for undervolt (-40) and overclock. 

I can see that current clock speed is 2900Ghz similar to maximum clock speed.

Isn´t that normal? really? 

Captura.JPG

No Events found!