Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

H

4 Posts

May 7th, 2021 05:00

Latitude 7490, integrated webcam not showing in device manager

Hello everybody,

I'm working on a Latitude 7490 which integrated webcam stopped working one week ago. When I open the app "Camera" I get the error "NoCamerasAreAttached".

I did all the checks in Windows settings and camera is enabled, still I cannot use it. On Device Manager I see no "webcam" driver, even though I flag the option "show hidden devices".

I tried to run windows update and Dell Command Update as well without success.

I ran a pre-boot diagnostic and a quick test from dell support assist but all tests passed.

Laptop is still on warranty. Do you guys have any idea?
Thank you in advance.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

May 8th, 2023 09:00

Important: If you're having issues with the image being all black, check if your webcam has a shutter and open it to test again. 

Now if the problem you're facing is with the webcam not being detected, please try the steps below:

1. Ensure you have the latest drivers for your system installed. You can check the drivers list here (https://www.dell.com/support/home) after informing your service tag or manually searching for your system model.
  2. Install the latest BIOS and webcam driver, restart the computer and check if the webcam is now detected by the system.

If you're still facing the issue after performing the steps above, please contact our agents using Get Help Now on the right corner of this page!

GHN.PNG

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 7th, 2021 16:00

Perhaps the webcam is no longer attached to the motherboard?

199 Posts

May 7th, 2021 19:00

Is it enabled in BIOS? Boot into BIOS and have a look.

Do not use Dell Command Update. Instead, go here and scroll down click the blue "Check For Updates" button. Install all the drivers it determines are needed.

35 Posts

May 8th, 2021 20:00

I've had this happen as well.  The camera got physically disconnected.  I had to remove the bezel and then check behind the LCD.  At the top middle there is a connector and the plug came out.

May 12th, 2021 01:00

Hi sfortin,
thank you for your reply.
Yes, already enabled on the BIOS and I checked many times driver updates through Dell Command Update and Dell Support site as well, nothing to do.
I called DELL support so they can phisically check if the camera disconnected from the PC in some way, like ieee488 and DCookTech suggested.

Thank you all.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 12th, 2021 06:00

I would like to suggest few steps which might help us in fixing the issue. Please try the following steps:

1. Run the Dell PC Diagnostics for Webcam. This would check the functionality of the webcam.
  2. The system comes installed with the Dell Webcam Central software suite. Uninstalling and re-installing of the software can be tried. Please follow the article to Uninstall and Re-install the Webcam Central Software.
    Once the Dell Webcam Central software is uninstalled, you may download and install the software from here.  

Please try the steps and write back with results.

May 13th, 2021 01:00

Hi Adrian,
thanks for the reply. I have already run Dell Diagnostics in pre-boot and from the official website as well.

About the Dell Webcam Central I've read it reached the end of life period. As a matter of fact the link you posted no longer exists.

Thank you anyway.

May 13th, 2021 06:00

I am also going through this issue. Is there any solution?

May 14th, 2021 02:00

Hi everybody,

apparently it was a hardware problem. Not sure if the camera was not well attached but calling DELL support was the solution.

Since the laptop is still under warranty a technician took care of replacing the broken part and started working again.

Thank you everyone for the answers

• 

25.1K Posts

May 14th, 2021 02:00

Thanks for confirming the issue resolution.

I hope your system is working fine now.

September 5th, 2021 05:00

Hello Dear,

I remember there was a problem with me too and I had also thrown my problem, I do not waste your time, I want to give you a suggestion if you want to check your webcam then do it.

1 Message

July 26th, 2022 10:00

Dear all, 

I've had similar issue on my XPS13 2-in-1 under Win11pro - the internal camera disappeared from device manager component list and stood inaccessible.

I found, the camera is USB-attached.
Here is my way to re-activate it:

1. Check the hardware

• Ensure, Your camera is enabled in BIOS settings.
  • Start the PC under live Linux (here Ubuntu 22.04LTS) from USB stick by F12 key at BIOS screen.
    Don't install it - running it in live mode is sufficient!
  • Run a Cheese application (Ubuntu's camera app).
    If You see Your face in its window, the camera hardware is OK and You can continue. 
    Is Your face scrambled, try to switch the app to another cam with the camera choice button.
  • Open a terminal session and enter "lsusb" command.
    Find a USB camera in the member list.
    In my case it was: "Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0c45:6a0f Microdia Internal_Webcam_HD".
    Please notice the ID, it contains both vendor and product numbers (VID & PID).
  • Reboot the machine to Windows.

2. Repair the connection

• Run device manager
  • Go to one of "USB controller"/"USB root hub (USB 3.0)" or some similar and double-click it.
  • Go to "Details" folder and point "Children" properties (in my German Windows version: "Untergeordnete Elemente")
  • Find the USB member with the same ID, as fount under Linux, in my case: USB\VID_0C45&PID_6A0F\5&2816b067&1&6
    If there is no camera in member list, go two steps back and choose an another "USB root hub", if any.
  • If the camera USB root hub has been already found, uninstall THIS USB root hub (use right mouse button and choose "Uninstall Device" (or similar, in German: "Gerät deinstallieren").
  • Search now the new devices (German: "Aktion"/""Nach geänderter Hardware suchen").
    If Your issue was similar to my one, the USB hub enumerates its members anew and Your camera has been revived.

I hope, it was helpful.
Enjoy Your cam again!

- mmk44

4 Posts

July 28th, 2022 13:00

Integrated WEB camera uses the internal USB port (DELL Inspiron 13-5378, Windows 10).

In case the built-in webcam isn’t visible or accessible in Device Manager although it’s activated under BIOS, you will probably need to uninstall the corresponding USB-Root-Hub.

• If you have only one USB-Root Hub installed, proceed as follows:
  • uninstall it under Device Manager > USB Controller > USB-Root-Hub (USB3.0),
  • restart the system

• if you have more USB-Root Hubs listed, proceed as mmk44 has it described or proceed alternatively as follows:

-  determine the USB-Root-Hub (3.0) which the webcam is assigned to (properties > Details > Children properties), for example:

USB\VID_0BDA&PID_58C2&MI_00\6&f4034f5&1&0000

- copy only relevant part of it which is USB\VID_0BDA&PID_58C2 and place it in the browser in order to find out which driver is assigned to it, for example: Realtek USB2.0 Camera. Integrated Camera.

- uninstall the USB-Root-Hub consisting of the description relating to the camera,

- restart the system

translation tips:

English: properties > details > children properties

German: Eigenschaften > Details > Untergeordnete Elemente

No Events found!