Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

December 11th, 2021 04:00

Is it possible to replace an internal laptop fan with a different model?

I have an dell latitude mini-PC, which is essentially built from laptop components. Unfortunately, the fans are way too loud for my taste even in quiet mode. The max fan speed is 7200 RPM and the fan noise is acceptable only up to about 50-60% duty cycle, which is exceeded above 50-60 °C. I would like to stick with 3000-4000 RPM up to 70-80 °C instead. Unfortunately, custom fan curves are not supported by the BIOS and there is no known way to override the fan speeds from software either. website

I was wondering whether it would be possible to replace the fan with another model that has a lower max RPM. However, it seems that unlike PC fans, laptop fans are hugely varied and lack detailed specifications. The fan in the mini-PC is a Sunon EG60070S1-C200-S9A 5V 1.96W fan but I have trouble looking for possible replacements. By pure chance I stumbled upon the SUNON MG75090V1-C200-S9A 5V 0.31A fan which seems to have an identical physical layout and based on its 5V × 0.31A = 1.55W power draw it may be lower RPM (or simply a smaller fan). However, I am not sure whether its dimensions and the placement of the screw holes really match those of the original fans or just look similar.

Could someone familiar with laptop fans please share their opinion about how interchangeable different laptop fan models are, what the best strategy may be to search for fitting replacements and where to look up detailed laptop fan specifications?

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

December 11th, 2021 04:00

The short answer is no - you need the original fan.  It is tied into the sensor system on the mainboard -- using another fan is almost certain to cause errors to arise.

December 13th, 2021 11:00

Dell is either aware and doesn't care, or is in denial about their overly loud fans in both the mini desktop described above and in their premium series laptops. This board and numerous forums are filled with complaints about the "noise" coming from the cheap fans Dell is using.

Dell isn't including fans with variable speed control to granularly adjust the speeds to minimize this problem-they're going with cheaper multi-speed fans, that only have a couple of speeds (seemingly quiet and loud).

This is real a pitiful move on Dell's part, likely to save a few nickels on each device sold, at the expense of their customers and those that support these devices. 

Bad move Dell. It's a shame you've been in business so long and still haven't learned (or cared) about what your customers want and expect in a premium priced computer, and they want and expect a premium computer in every way, and not a bunch of nonsense from you attempting to explain away why these fans are noticeably loud.  

January 3rd, 2022 02:00

Funny, how you used the word denial. I found exactly the same relationship between Dell and denial:

http://dell-pc-truth-denial.ga/index.html

No Events found!