JakeH1
1 Nickel

Laptop shuts suddenly after new battery

Jump to solution

I have a 4 YO Latitude E5440. This week after finally died, I replaced the original battery with an OEM (LG). Since the new battery I started experiencing a new problem: about a couple of hours after use Windows 10 suddenly shuts down.
. The shutdown is not clean but not sudden either. It's as if Windows wants to power-off but unable to complete the process. I can see the ssd light doing some work for a few seconds. Event log says Windows rebooted not cleanly. There is no prior log for a reason.
. Happens while AC is plugged and battery fully charged.
. At one point I could barely see a pop up in the Windows notification saying something about windows losing connection with the battery.
. I ran both the Dell diagnostics in Windows using supportasssit and the Bios built-in diagnostics. No problems with new battery.
. I also completely reset the Bios (pulled both AC and battery, then pressed power button for 30 seconds).
. New Battery shows completely normal behavior.

Update:

It just happened again. This time I was able to capture the pop up just prior to shutdown: "dell cannot communicate with battery"
I found on some forums that it's recommended to remove the dell power management tools. and so I removed it just now.
Any insight?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Laptop shuts suddenly after new battery

Jump to solution

OEM means Dell as the Original Equipment Manufacturer not LG. Unfortunately I could not find genuine Dell replacement batteries on Dell's website for your exact model and those from resellers are risky and/or scams and should be avoided. Since the laptop is 4-5 yrs old you might want to try removing the battery and using the adapter alone. It will be a desktop replacement until you can buy a new computer. 

A search for the e5440 battery brought up this at Dell but 5440 is not in the compatible list. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeH1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Update: modified the power plan to do nothing when critical battery reached. This time the laptop did not shutdown. Instead I got the blue Windows message across the screen that the battery is critically low (indicated 0%). But, after a couple of seconds the warning disapeared and the battery level restored to 98%.

So, it seems the laptop does not like the new battery and sometimes looses the communication (as the message says). So, Going to replace the battery since I just got it. In the meantime, the fix is to stay with AC and set the power plan to do nothing in critical level.

I suspect that Dell did something to "not play nicely" with OEM batteries. Let's see how the replacement OEM works.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Dell Community @JakeH1 

Your system has a "SMART" power system.

Your AC and battery are both "SMART" devices.

That is why for newer systems it is best to replace the AC and Battery with an "Original OEM AC and Battery"

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

OEM means Dell as the Original Equipment Manufacturer not LG. Unfortunately I could not find genuine Dell replacement batteries on Dell's website for your exact model and those from resellers are risky and/or scams and should be avoided. Since the laptop is 4-5 yrs old you might want to try removing the battery and using the adapter alone. It will be a desktop replacement until you can buy a new computer. 

A search for the e5440 battery brought up this at Dell but 5440 is not in the compatible list. 

0 Kudos
JakeH1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note. I can't use it without a battery as I move about and sometimex the power plug gets loosen and I loose the power.

Plan to replace the 'after-market' battery with a Dell one.

I find it strange that dell does not offer it on its website. Getting it from another source does not grantee it's a genuine one.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

@JakeH1 

To just remove the battery and use it like a desktop until you purchase a new computer is not a solution and never will.

NEW Dell OEM Latitude E5440 / E5540 6-cell 65Wh Original Laptop Battery - VV0NF

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=18549

NEW Dell OEM Latitude E5440 / E5540 9-cell 97Wh Original Laptop Battery - N5YH9

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=18590

The Parts People have been specializing in Dell Laptop parts for more than 17 years.

Getting it from another source like the Parts People is a guarantee it's a genuine one.

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
kaavain
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi

Got exactly the same behavior after my original battery died at LATTITUDE E5450 (shame on DELL - after 3 years only!).

Bought a Chinese but branded from Germany. Detected as Samsung SDI and "DELL battery: YES" by DELL Power Manager. Random shutdowns annoying and once I've noticed for milliseconds prompt like "critical battery level" while on AC and 100% charge. This helped me to find existing topic.

I'm also noticed that from time to time power indicator tells that AC is unplugged while it is not, for several seconds. Initially I thought that power connector is damaged, but removing the battery completely will bring the laptop to absolutely normal operation, no one power off were happened! 

What helped me seems to be completely - changing in advanced power plan settings action when powered from AC but critical battery level from SHUT DOWN to NONE. Since that it is already several hours with no problems (before an hour at most).

I'm also, but may be with no necessarily, made thru regedit "do noting" on critical battery level while powered from battery.

The question is - does uninstalling DELL Command - Power Manager helped to somebody?

0 Kudos