Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

14 Posts

September 12th, 2019 14:00

Latitude 3390 pcie / nvme ???

Folks,

I just picked up a Latitude 3390 2 in 1. According to Crucial.com it can take a PCIe ssd. Also, the owner's manual states:

This laptop supports HDD, M.2 SATA SSD, and M.2 PCIe NVMe

So I crack open the back cover and can't find an M.2 PCIe slot. What am I missing here?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

September 12th, 2019 15:00

Have a look at the following video for the 3590. The SSD M.2 slot should be in the same location I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NFTqbswco

14 Posts

September 12th, 2019 17:00

Thanks for the response, but that isn't there on the 3390. 
I have seen that they have a caddy where you can mount an M.2 SATA drive. But that is SATA. The docs clearly state that it supports PCIe. The only thing I can think of is if they sell a different caddy that has its own cable that connects to the motherboard. 

For example here is the SATA cable:
https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=23782

and the caddy:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=27978

Thanks again.

September 17th, 2019 04:00

Hi,

I'm also interested in installing M.2 NVMe in 3390.

Have you got any results? The idea of special caddy for NVMe sounds reasonable, but there is nothing about it when searched online. The motherboard looks, like there is some connector near the SATA connector that might be for M.2

September 17th, 2019 05:00

Ok, I was just looking at Latitude 3379 and the motherboard looks very similar to 3390.

Check here, page 18, you can see how a NVMe would be installed on 3390, but it's probably missing the M.2 socket and thus impossible to install NVMe.

So if you open your 3390 and don't see a socket there, you might be victim of marketing (probably someone edited the 3379 user guide to 3390 and just forgot to erase the NVMe part)

If I'm ever super poored and don't value my 3390 anymore, I might solder a M.2 socket to try

1 Message

March 7th, 2021 04:00

Helpline Confirmed there is a SSD Slot. But Dell Technician, who opened my system could not able to find SSD Slot. he suggested me to use 3.5 Type SSD in place of HDD

March 7th, 2021 06:00

Dell is just lazy. There is no NVMe, only M.2 SATA

March 7th, 2021 07:00

My solution is to never buy Dell products again. I also have a Dell IPS LCD with terrible burn-in (only 10 min to retain a image).

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

February 15th, 2024 23:21

I know, old thread but maybe this will help others that run into this thread in the future with their 3390. I just bought one the previous week refurbished and it came with the Crucial 512GB 2.5 SATA SSD and have already sussed out the NVME situation for this Dell.

You need an NVME interposer caddy that replaces the existing SATA 2.5" cage as the 3390 can ONLY support one drive internally, so replace your 2.5"HDD/SSD with either an m.2 (SATA) or with the interposer board and second cable, it becomes your NVME in a sturdier caddy that allows you to screw in the imposer board and then that replaces the existing HD/SSD.

The 3590 shows the NVME drive in a totally different spot. The battery is smaller (I think) and the HD/SATA SSD is in a different spot towards the back of the laptop. Again, need to remove the existing 2.5" drive and slot in the NVME. Essentially, the slot for the NVME drive is ON the motherboard, along the edge to the right of the battery (when looking at it from the front).

The 3390 has the drive caddy to the left of the battery and can be HDD/SATA SSD or m.2/NVME.

Hope this Helps.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 18th, 2024 21:10

@ciddyguy​ What is the interposer board? Are you able to send a link or provide a product number for it?

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 17th, 2024 22:55

@rpbritton​ Sorry for the later reply, just seeing this. I mispoke. The 3390 2n1 only does SATA. That is, there is no extra connector for NVME. The imposer allows you to convert from say, SATA interface to NVME, and allows you to also mount an M.2 form factor SSD into the 2.5" drive caddy spot but in this case, you are forced to run the new drive through the SATA interface. They make one for SATA to IDE even if you want to run a newer SATA drive in an older IDE based laptop, like an early 2000's Inspiron laptop that still uses IDE.

That is all an imposer is for. HTH.

No Events found!