Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 12th, 2018 10:00

Latitude 5285 bottom 1" of touchscreen issue

I use a stylus quite a bit for school and for the last two months or so, the bottom 1" of the screen would not respond well to touch or stylus input. Additionally, it would randomly spaz out at times and register a touch input where the start menu is which restricts me from being able to even use the touchpad to navigate the screen. I've tried updating and rolling back drivers as well as bios but nothing seems to work. I even tried a new stylus (Wacom Bamboo Ink). Has anyone run into this issue before? I really don't feel like paying around $200 for a replacement screen.

1 Message

August 16th, 2018 05:00

I've experienced the same thing on two different 5285s in the last month. Bizzare to say the least.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 06:00

I have 10 of them in my office and 2 of them so far are experiencing this issue.  They are development machines and sit on desks.  They weren't being transported or tossed around.  Almost like it happened out of nowhere.

Saw reports of the wrong resolution.  Another post here said:If your resolution is 1980X1280 (vs. 1980x1080) the bottom 200 pixels do not respond to touchscreen input, this appears to be a bug in DELL firmware.

But this doesn't seem to help.  Can set the resolution lower, but then the screen is shorter than the display and it doesn't help.

Very weird.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 21:00

the exact same thing started happening to my laptop. Since buying it about 2 months ago, I've only used it for about 20 minutes. I powered it up today to begin using it and like others have indicated the bottom 1/2 to 1 inch isn't working. I tried to calibrate the screen, but it wouldn't read my touch on the bottom cross hairs. I wonder if a windows update is causing the issue? Hopefully someone from Dell will respond or others have found a fix?

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 18:00

The resolution being the issue would be quite odd as the native resolution is 1920x1280. I contacted Dell and ran a few tests they suggested with no avail. I will post their test suggestions here in case it may help anyone else.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 18:00

Suggested testing from Dell Online Support:

1) Has the system suffered any physical/accidental damage?

2) Run ePSA

• Power on the system. 
  • Before the Dell Logo is displayed, immediately press the Volume Up button to get the Boot Menu.
  • Scroll down the Diagnostics and then press the Volume Down button to select.
  • The tablet will begin running the ePSA utility.
3) Check whether or not the touchscreen is working in ePSA.

4) Clear any previous calibration and recalibrate the touchscreen.
  • Type "Tablet PC Settings" in the Windows run or search box
  • Launch the "Tablet PC Settings" window
  • On the Display tab, click reset if it is not already greyed out
  • Next, select Calibrate.
  • Choose Pen or Touch input.
  • Perform the calibration.
  • Save the calibrated data.
5) Adjust the Pen and Touch settings in the Control Panel.
  • Multiple settings and configurations can be changed depending on the users preference
  • Type "Pen and Touch" in the Windows run or search box
  • Launch the "Pen and Touch" window
  • Click Pen or Touch tab depending on the issues the customer is experiencing
  • Note:  Pen and Touch options and settings will vary based on hardware capability.
  • Select the Pen or Touch action experiencing issues and make any necessary adjustments
  • Apply any changes and click Ok to close the Pen and Touch window
  • Test with new configuration settings
6) Uninstall and reinstall touch driver and software.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2018 18:00

I did reach out to Dell and they sent me those test procedures to go through. After none of those tests fixed my issue, my issue is now currently pending parts and a technician will come by to replace the part(s). 

1 Message

August 29th, 2018 18:00

I wonder if it is soldering problem for the chip. Similar to LG G4, overheating causes bad soldering. Maybe should unite together to ask dell for repair or replacement..

8 Posts

September 17th, 2018 10:00

An update for everyone:

Since my unit was still under warranty, Dell sent out a technician to replace my screen and ribbon cable. It now works as it initially did. I ran HWinfo and it shows to be the same part number as the one that became defective so I hope this one doesn't exhibit the same issues down the road. We'll see...

If yours is out of warranty, the only option I can see is possibly to buy a replacement screen from partspeople.com or eBay. =/

3 Posts

October 16th, 2018 15:00

Clearly not software issue here! I tried all updates, Windows reset etc.

Dell Support! whats the solution? Besides returning for Screen Replacement.

1 Message

October 29th, 2018 12:00

Same issue here.... Problem just appeared out of no where a month ago or so!  This tablet has not been dropped or damaged at all and looks new. Most certainly not a software issue or driver issue. It has been working fine since the day it was purchased.  Dell should cover this defect.  As it turns out I am just a couple of months out of warranty when this issue was first detected. 

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2018 14:00

Does anyone know a fix? I bought a replacement screen/cable and still the same issue! :(

1 Message

November 9th, 2018 11:00

All -

Came across this thread while troubleshooting my Dell Latitude 5285 (refurb from online reseller < 6mo.).

Symptom: Prior flawless function of touchscreen w/Dell Active Pen 556W, started experiencing issues with Active Pen usage with landscape mode (tablet/non-tablet mode) touchscreen's lower 1" horizontally where tap signal failed to register while some areas within (lowest 1" horizontal) zone would register long press with Active Pen.

Attempts to reset/calibrate touchscreen including uninstalling Dell Active Pen drivers/SW and then reset/calibrate touchscreen (including full edge calibration), failed for Pen usage; not Touch.  Went to Dell Support site to successfully update all device drivers including BIOS.  Re-attempted calibration unsuccessfully.

Troubleshooting led to using a different stylus (ZSpeed Active Stylus for capacitive screens).  When using 'touch end' of stylus, lowest 1" horizontal zone would register accurately.  When using 'pen end' of stylus w/Pen turned on, lowest 1" horizontal zone would register accurately as well.

Will replace batteries in Dell Active Pen to test further.

Current findings indicate touchscreen HW and SW are functioning as expected.  Will replace batteries in Dell Active Pen to confirm successful test results w/ZSpeed Active Stylus.

CK

9 Posts

March 26th, 2019 11:00

Im still having issues, have replaced LCD but not ribbon. What is the issue relating to, what part needs to be replaced?

1 Message

March 30th, 2019 17:00

I have the same problem , bought from USA refurbised, very dissapointed in DELL I will not buy any dell production again, I see that many people with 5285 changed the screen and it didnt work **bleep** dell???!!! Lenovo is better!!!

2 Posts

March 31st, 2019 16:00

Hello, I have the same problem and the replacement of the screen does not change anything. Why do not we have the Dell solution?

No Events found!