Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2021 01:00

Latitude 5320 - no storage detected in WinPE

Hi, i am unable to deploy windows 10 OS to Latitude 5320

WinPE version is 10.0.17134.1

The OS deployment fails in the beginning with windowsPE.

The diskpart step fails because winpe can't find the disk.

I have tried injecting the following storage drivers for Latitude 5320:

Dell Command | Deploy Driver Pack
Dell Command | Deploy WinPE Driver Pack
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Where can i find a functioning storage driver for winpe for latitude 5320?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2021 08:00

Hi

at least for me I found the root cause:

There is a conflict between non-VMD and VMD driver when both have the same version.

The VMD driver is required to get the disk recognized (standard Dell BIOS settings).

When the non-VMD driver (iaAHCIC & iaStorAC) is already in the boot media and you try to add the VMD (iaStorVD) with the same version, the driver is added to driver store but NOT activated => the iaStorVD.sys is missing in Windows\drivers directory.

When I first add the VMD and then the non-VMD all three sys files are added to Windows\drivers. When I try with different versions for non-VMD and VMD it worked here independent to the order.

Best regards
  Stefan

April 29th, 2021 07:00

What version of windows ADK are you using to image? I had the same issue with ADK 1703, upgraded to version 2004 and it fixed the issue. 

Someone on this thread also had issues with 1803. - https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-5520-imaging-issues/m-p/7815863#M30564

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 12th, 2021 03:00

That version of Windows PE is aged -- you likely need to upgrade your PE to 10.1.19041.1 for this system, which is much newer than the PE you're using.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2021 04:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2021 05:00

I need to upgrade sccm/adk first, I will report after it is done

February 24th, 2021 09:00

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy the same model, and I'm having the same issue. Once the device starts to format, it crashed and says he can't find the HDD.

If I try to run a diskpart, no HDD is detected in RAID mode, but changing to AHCI the HDD is detected with no problem.

I'm running the latest version of Windows PE and have imported to the MDT the drivers packs on the DELL website - WINPE10.0-DRIVERS-A22-3GVJN and WinPE10.0-Drivers-A23-PR4K0.CAB with no success.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 11:00

Alright, upgrading SCCM & ADK to newest versions helped.

I also had to find the mac address of the USB RJ 45 dongle and create a computer object out of it in SCCM AND deploy the task sequence to it. Deploying to "all unknown computers" wasn't enough. Neither is cleaning up unknown objects.

Why is everyone making laptops without RJ45.....

2 Posts

April 5th, 2021 11:00

same here with latest WinPE (19041 / 2004):
already tried with:
- RST drivers from PE package
- RST 18 from Intel
- RST 18 VMD driver from 5320 download
- RST 18 VMD driver from Intel
always the same. The RAID controller is on state "Error". From PnP ID it's the VMD device (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A0B) 

BUT  when I use drvload and manual load the driver (from USB or from driverstore) the driver loads and then the disk is accessable.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 8th, 2021 08:00

@slamse  If it helps, Dell docks and maybe even some Dell Ethernet dongles support MAC Address Passthrough.  In that case, the system will overwrite the MAC address built into the dock/adapter with the system's own MAC address.  Latitude systems support this and have a "virtual" MAC address in their firmware specifically for this purpose, which allows you to track systems on your network by MAC even if they use different devices for connectivity.  On systems that actually have built-in Ethernet, a BIOS option allows you to choose whether to use the virtual MAC or the system's physical Ethernet MAC for passthrough purposes.  In the latter case, you can't use the system's Ethernet interface simultaneously, but of course it's a more consistent picture on the network.  I know Dell's WD19 dock family supports this, but again I haven't checked the adapters to be sure.  But if you do all of your imaging from a relatively small number of locations, you might find it useful to take advantage of that feature.

April 27th, 2021 13:00

Anyone have the solution?

May 3rd, 2021 17:00

Thank you so much. This is the solution that worked for me. I just got this model and this solution is what made it possible for me to image this unit. I really appreciate it!!! Thanks so much for sharing your solution. 

2 Posts

June 15th, 2021 04:00

"Hi

at least for me I found the root cause:

There is a conflict between non-VMD and VMD driver when both have the same version.

The VMD driver is required to get the disk recognized (standard Dell BIOS settings).

When the non-VMD driver (iaAHCIC & iaStorAC) is already in the boot media and you try to add the VMD (iaStorVD) with the same version, the driver is added to driver store but NOT activated => the iaStorVD.sys is missing in Windows\drivers directory.

When I first add the VMD and then the non-VMD all three sys files are added to Windows\drivers. When I try with different versions for non-VMD and VMD it worked here independent to the order.

Best regards
  Stefan"

This worked for us on the 5420, thanks

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

August 25th, 2021 14:00

I have the same problem with the dell latitude 5420 and winpe 1903 (18362).  For now I've removed iastorac.sys using dism and put iastorvd.sys in.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

August 27th, 2021 07:00

Put the VD one in first, the AC one in second.  That seems to work and both the sys files stay in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

No Events found!