Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2020 00:00

Latitude 5400-5901 Thunderbolt 3 support

Hello!

I'm interested in latitude 5400 laptop, but I'm confused with Thunderbolt 3 support.

From specs on product page:

Ports & Slots:

USB Type C 3.1 Gen 2 with Power Delivery & DisplayPort (Optional Thunderbolt 3)

I'm confused with "optional". What does it mean?

I've found Latitude 5400-5901 model In my local store. Does this model support Thunderbolt 3?

Than You in advance

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 9th, 2020 03:00

I use Thunderbolt 3 to justify buying specific models like the G7 7588

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/g-series-15-7588-laptop/docs

Some users will need a DELL HJ855 Cherry AP POS ST-1044UB PC/SC Smart Card Reader

Thunderbolt 3 (4x lanes PCIe) is standard with this model not an option.

That means you can find it retail in stores like Best Buy and get it today vs waiting for order and shipping etc.  Ease of buying and locally available saves time and money with procurement.

I convinced them by buying one personally and then using thunderbolt docks and storage as a wedge to show managment it was a feature worth having.

Even though I did this over a year ago I have no regrets.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 8th, 2020 04:00

Have the local store check the configuration using the service tag.  Latitudes are built to order for businesses.  My suspicion is that if you want the Thunderbolt option, you'll need to order a custom system direct from Dell -- it's very likely that pre-built systems don't include Thunderbolt, since it's not a common feature used by most businesses.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2020 06:00

Thank You for reply. Will request service tag before buying

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 8th, 2020 07:00

@ejn63  is correct, although I think Thunderbolt may be more common given that it enables higher-end display setups when using docking stations, and some businesses will want to run such setups. Regular USB-C docking stations can only run dual FHD or single QHD. But Latitude systems that have Thunderbolt have the Thunderbolt logo next to their USB-C port. So that can help. But yes a Service Tag check is best since you can enter that into support.dell.com to see the system configuration when it left the factory.

No Events found!