Start a Conversation

Unsolved

RS

1 Message

August 4th, 2020 06:00

Latitude 5400 with WD19 dock keeps disconnecting

I'm using Latitude 5400 with updated BIOS to 1.7.4. (Windows 10 2004 x64, latest updates)
- It has Thunderbolt port, but I configured it in BIOS to work only as Display port and USB. (it doesn't work also in other settings)
- I have also updated TB firmware with file "Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM44_8D5PH_A03_4.44.135.001.exe"

I'm connecting it to WD19 updated with "DellDockingStationFwUp_01.00.14_03042020_WD19.exe"
- Connected to dock is only power (first 130W, later original 180W, but it doesn't fix anything), no DP, HDMI or USB devices.

When I connect dock to notebook it cannot handle even the gigabit network card.
- I go to Control Panel - Network... - Change Adapter Settings
- I can see "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller" appear and 1 second later it disappear, this forever in cycle.
- In Windows I can hear repeating sound of disconnect device(and no connecting device sound).
- Nothing from the dock works.

The only thing that helped was disabling External USB ports in BIOS (actually killing all laptop's USB ports).
- This made the "TB-Crap" port and "WildDock19" communicate at least as monitor extender.

Otherwise this dock is just expensive USB-C power charger.

Connecting notebook to WD19TB worked fine.

• 

25.7K Posts

August 4th, 2020 06:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 16:00

I have a similar issue.  I have a Precision 5510 running Windows 10, connected via USB-C to a WD19 dock.  There are nearly continuous USB disconnect and connect tones.  So far I have done the following without success:

-confirmed no waiting Windows updates

-confirmed that the BIOS is up to date

-Updated Dock firmware

-reinstalled all of the drivers in the order specified in in the support article at https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln308303/dell-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-docks-wd15-tb16-tb18dc-wd19-wd19tb-wd19dc-d6000-bios-settings-and-driver-installation-for-troubleshooting?lang=en

I've also been able to verify that there are NO changes in the Device Manager, even though the device list refreshes with every connect or disconnect tone as if there were. 

Of course I can mute my machine to make the tones go away, but it's essentially useless for anything requiring sound unless I un-dock.

Thanks,

Art

1 Message

October 5th, 2020 11:00

I too have the same problem. Constant device connect disconnect sound. It may be related to ethernet interface on the dock as it never shows up in my available list of networks.

This is causing major frustration. Please help!

1 Message

March 24th, 2021 02:00

I too had this problem. I regret the day I bought a laptop that has only 2 ports - both USB C (Dell XPS 13, late 2020 edition) only to fork out £200+ for this dock.

Dell customer services have replaced the dock free of charge. However the replacement is buggy: my monitor seems to just disconnect periodically and show a black screen. Sometimes it comes back after a few seconds. Other times the monitor then goes into sleep mode. Total pain.

1 Message

April 7th, 2021 06:00

Is there any resolution to this issue?  My dock disconnects so often that it is unusable for anything more than a paperweight.  I have updated BIOS and all drivers for my laptop and the dock, itself.

November 20th, 2021 09:00

I have the same issue my WD19 and multiple Dell machines (Dell XPS 9350, 9365, and a Precision 5530). All of them chime/ding incessantly when plugged into the WD19 dock, as if a device were being disconnected/reconnected multiple times. It easily dings once every 4-5 seconds. It's quite annoying.

I've also checked to make sure it's not a driver issue and none of these machines indicate they have pending updates.

It's disappointing that a fairly expensive dock would have this issue.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2021 14:00

Try this:

• Go to the Device Manager
  • Look under Network Adapters
  • Right-click on "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller"
  • Select "Disable Device"

This worked for me (after many hours of trying to figure out where it was coming from).  At one point I put a new hard drive in my 5510 and rebuilt it from scratch. This worked for a while, but the problem came back eventually.  Disabling the Realtek Controller is the only thing that seems to work for me. I haven't noticed any other ill effects of disabling it.   ...yet.

You might find that perhaps after some updates, it will automatically re-enable and you have to kill it again.

No Events found!