Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2021 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Latitude 5420/7420/7520 CPU Throttling Issue on Linux

Hi there!

I have Latitude 7520 laptop with i7-1185g7 and this model has a huge problem with CPU throttling.

Besides this model users report that 5420/7420 models affected too.

This laptops have a two issues:

1. Throttling to 400mhz after running power-intensive workloads for a short amount of time -- which caused by incorrect work of legacy interface. This issue can be resolved by blacklisting "intel_rapl_msr" module or install intel/thermald v2.4.6
  2. The same issue but cpu stuck on 1800mhz -- it is another issue and currently I haven't any idea how resolve it. Looks like something from firmware locks CPU power.

Message from Intel developer(pls see here) :

The problem is that TMEM sensor reaches its limits of 42C in 4 seconds, so the system is throttled from max power. Even at the start the temperature is 39C. So not much margin. Not
sure what can be done here

So I am trying to find and solve this problem. Maybe someone from Dell can help. A lot of users buy Latitude laptops for work with Linux and as I can see Dell sells linux version of this laptops.

What I see currently:

• In Windows it works correctly(3.3-4.8ghz on max load)
  • Latest mainline kernel(`5.13.0-1-mainline`) doesn't fix it
  • Latest bios doesn't fix it(1.7.1 for my laptop)
  • It depends on laptop vendor. I have MSI laptop with the same i7-1185g7 and it works properly, one difference is: Dell show "base_frequency" as 1800mhz, MSI as 3000mhz. Maybe it's related
  • Load/Unload modules, disabling intel_pstate, tune tdp limits, changing thermal mode(quiet,cool,balanced,performance) doesn't affect this problem

Related links:

I will be very appreciated if someone help me to resolve this issue. Thanks!

35 Posts

January 19th, 2022 00:00

The problem with this argumentation is that Dell says that they ship hardware "configurations" and only those which are "designed" for Linux are supported. In reality it is the same hardware I think but on the law side they are correct. Also I cannot by the 7320 with Linux at all. I tried pro support and ended up with this and I have to admin that they are right from an operations perspective. Nevertheless they should solve this problem! Can't be that hard as the XPS work fine with the same CPU.

21 Posts

January 19th, 2022 02:00

I did it, with the same results. What makes me wonder is that any process that seems more "memory intensive" throttles de CPU down. It's easier to throttle it by watching a video in Youtube then running a stress-test in s-tui.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2022 04:00

I just did some testing with thermald 2.4.8 to see if the issue was fixed but there is only the initial improvement as mentioned before. Here is the raw data recorded using turbostat when running 'stress -c 8': https://pastebin.com/raw/iBGc4Jk3

and also some graphs:

Turbostat Recording for 'stress -c 8' CorWatt.png

Turbostat Recording for 'stress -c 8' PkgTmp.png

as shown there is only the initial turbo boot and then the processor throttles to 10W at 1800MHz with small spikes every 15s or so. In Windows, with the same laptop, it settles at least at the rated PL1 of 28W.

21 Posts

January 19th, 2022 06:00

Tried with thermald 2.4.8 (latest stable version). Same result. It seems to be taking a little longer to throttle, but it might be more of a feeling than anything else. And I can't make ThermalMonitor work in anyway.

31 Posts

January 19th, 2022 07:00

Are you using the standard Ubuntu kernel version, and if so, what is that kernel version?

21 Posts

January 19th, 2022 08:00

$ uname -a
Linux laptop 5.13.0-25-generic #26~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 7 16:27:40 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Standard kernel, and I've downloaded the thermald code from github, tag 2.4.8.

January 19th, 2022 20:00

Running Dell Latitude 7420 with i7-1185G7 with OL 8 (based on RHEL 8). The way this issue surfaced for me is occasionally laptop would start freezing during normal workloads with Zoom being very difficult to work with. Firefox would become very choppy just not pleasant experience at all. This was particularly obvious when plugging laptop back into power after using it on battery. Restarts would sort of improve it.Yesterday I installed the latest BIOS 1.14 (released on 13th of Jan). Unsure if related as I haven't payed much attention before but now the CPU averages 2.5 GHz on typical workloads. When I run s-tui stress test or the stress tool, the CPU still gets throttled ~ 1800 MHz with occasional 400 MHz which is intriguing as without the stress tool it averages well above that.

I will keep monitoring it over the next few days to see if the chopping experience returns.

January 20th, 2022 01:00

As a follow-up from the post above. Unfortunately that issue is still cropping up. Whenever there is a bit more load on the CPU it gets occasionally throttled back to 400 MHz which causes choppy behavior.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

January 20th, 2022 08:00

I spoke with the responsible team about this issue and I would like your help to gather as much information to help them understand the problem.

If each one of you (especially those in warranty) could reply to this:

Latitude model?
• BIOS version installed?
• Version of Linux?
• Is the issue also happening with Windows operating system?
• What were you doing when the issue happened?
• Is it OOB (out of box - first time running/setting operational system) issue?
• What troubleshooting have you done?

P.S.: You can either reply here or in private, your choice!

35 Posts

January 20th, 2022 09:00

Model: 7320, i7-1185G7

BIOS: 1.14.1

Linux: Opensuse Tumbleweed 5.16.0-1-default, Also tested on Debian and Ubuntu

Issue on Windows: no

What did I do: Stress CPU with "stress-ng -c 8"

OOB: Don't understand the question but was always present, since day 1

Troubleshooting: Please see the following issues on Github, these are really important and will answer many technical questions and affected models:

https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/issues/293

https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/issues/334

https://github.com/erpalma/throttled/issues/255

As far as I understand the complete Latitude XX20 series is affected and they should all be under warranty as the model is not that old.

Thanks for your efforts!

1 Message

January 20th, 2022 10:00

Latitude model

5420, on warranty until 28 AUG 2024.

BIOS version installed

Currently, latest available through fwupd - 1.15.1.

Version of Linux

Arch Linux, Kernel version 5.16.1, currently. But the issue was present on preinstalled Ubuntu too.

Is the issue also happening with Windows operating system?

No, everything is fine on Windows.

What were you doing when the issue happened?

Doing a demanding task for a couple of minutes, like playing a game or compiling code.

Is it OOB (out of box - first time running/setting operational system) issue?

Yep, was present OOB.

What troubleshooting have you done?

Installed thermald, which makes CPU frequency ceiling higher while throttling (1400 Mhz instead of 400), but doesn't fix the issue completely. Also, lots of tweaks from GitHub issues mentioned in previous answer, you really should read through those, there's lots of troubleshooting info there.

1 Message

January 20th, 2022 11:00

Latitude model
Dell Latitude 5420 i7-1165g7

BIOS version installed?
Bios version 1.14.1

Version of Linux?
kernel: 5.13.0-27-generic

No it does not happen on Windows.

For me its primarily a problem when I do code compilation as I do software development.

Yes, I've also tested a few other Latitude 5420 laptops my IT department had that where brand new and still had the same issue.

Same as those above me in this post, using thermald helps, but does not fix the issue.

21 Posts

January 20th, 2022 14:00

Latitude model?

5420, core i5, 32GB of RAM, 1TB of NVMe.

BIOS version installed?

Version of Linux?

Ubuntu 20.04. Result of uname -a: Linux laptop 5.13.0-25-generic #26~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 7 16:27:40 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't know, as I don't have windows installed. I've installed Ubuntu on day-1. Bought the laptop beacuse of it.

Anything. Watching a video on Youtube, replying to this thread in Firefox or Chrome, compiling code, using pycharm, etc. It's way more clear and perceptive on Youtube and on a Google meet.

Yes. It was kind of slow from day 1, but I began monitoring it 2 months after acquiring it. Monitoring with s-tui and troubleshooting started 2 months after I bought it. I have it for 6 months now.

- Reinstalling ubuntu;

- Updating thermald from 2.4.5 to 2.4.8 (latest version);

- Lifting the laptop to cool it's bottom better;

- Updating the BIOS a couple of times (I think it came originally with BIOS 1.10 or 1.11, I don't remember) - the updates were though Ubuntu official update;

- Switching from thermald to throttled; - this actually made things worse, the CPU was throttling to 400Mhz instead of 1400Mhz;

- Reinstalling Ubuntu again to restore the original thermald;

- Enabling and disabling Intel speedstep (if I remember the name correctly) in the BIOS;

- Running only with battery;

- Running only with AC power;

And I'm out of ideas now. Every time the CPU throttles, the temperature is low, like 50~55 degrees Celsius as you can see in the image below.

In theory this CPU could go up to 95 degrees.

January 20th, 2022 20:00

Latitude model

7420 with i7-1185G7, on warranty until 01 SEP 2023

BIOS version installed

Version of Linux

Oracle Linux 8 (RHEL 8 based). Kernel: 4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64

It also happens with OL8 UEK6 kernel: 5.4.17-2136.300.7.el8uek.x86_64

Windows was much smoother and pleasant experience.

Issues is obvious when the system is under load with stress tools likes s-tui or stress, however it also surfaces during normal workloads when a single more demanding process is running.For me triggers of this issue are Zoom call with screen share, or antivirus on demand scan.

This occurs when the CPU temperature goes above 62 degrees, the CPU is immediately throttled to 400 MHZ. When CPU runs bellow 62 degrees that everything is fine.

Yep, was present OOB.

Tried different solutions like:

https://github.com/erpalma/throttled

Experimented with cpupower tool profiles that comes with OL8

Tried changing power profile in BIOS to no avail.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2022 23:00

Hi,

I've the same issue on XPS13. The cpu is power limited during high workload.

model

XPS 13 9310 (0991) with i7-1185G7, on warranty until 25 MAI 2024 (pro support plus)

BIOS version install

3.3.0 (11/12/2021)

I've also tested the previous bios (e.g 2.2.0, 2.2.1) with the same results

Version of Linux

Linux 4.19, 5.14, 5,15

I don't know. Using only linux

To test I'm using s-tui, a tool to generate cpu workload. During the workload, the CPU working fine few seconds and then the cpu is power limited to 14.5/15 Watt.

Yes.

I've tested the different cpu mode in the bios (performance, auto, battery, etc.). Same problem. The comportement is like this :

screenshot.jpg

During limitation, the power is limited to ~15Watt, cpu frequency to 2,3Ghz whereas the temperature is not high.

No Events found!