Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

A

1 Message

November 26th, 2022 03:00

Latitude 5420 doesn’t start

I was using my laptop yesterday when it suddenly turned off, and would not turn back on. When I press the power button, the keyboard lights up but nothing else happens. 

The screen works, as I’ve tried the D+power test and it displays all the colors properly. I’ve also tried starting it while connected to an external screen, no luck there either. 

I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, the ram, the coin battery, nothing makes a difference.

I don’t know if this is relevant, but I can’t turn the computer off anymore (at least the keyboard). Holding the powers button causes the keyboard lights to flash, and then restart (the first time they cut off it’s more of a blink, whereas the second time is a longer pause, like when it restarts).

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 26th, 2022 04:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery from the system board.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.  Then reconnect the battery, plug in the system and see if it will powerup and boot.

If it won't, you're going to need a replacement system board.

2 Intern

• 

346 Posts

November 27th, 2022 23:00

Press and hold the key on the keyboard, and then press the power button for 3 seconds until the Dell logo appears on the screen.

Regards,
Jimmy

1 Message

January 12th, 2023 06:00

I also have the same issue, D+power test worked.  While power +B key for 3 seconds did not work.  Not sure if there is any other solution beside sending in for motherboard replacement. 

No Events found!