Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

June 5th, 2018 00:00

Latitude 5490 support SSD M.2 2242 in the WWAN Slot?

Hi

can i add additional SSD M.2 2242 Sata  to the WWAN slot?

this one for example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G0N4S3A/ref=psdc_1292116011_t2_B01G0N4QVE

it will work?

Thanks!

17 Posts

December 14th, 2022 03:00

Deleted. Didn't read post correctly. 

17 Posts

December 16th, 2022 14:00

Thanks for taking a look!  Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the matter...

BTW, the BIOS is 1.16.3, 3/5/2021

17 Posts

December 16th, 2022 15:00

Yep, the Transcend SATA SSD has 2 slots but the WWAN socket only has 1 key peg.

17 Posts

BTW, the Transcend SATA M.2 SSD you added successfully has TWO key slots, while the board connector / slot has one of those two keys, correct?

17 Posts

@Saluki

Suggestions having now read your posts properly:

1. Instead of buying a SATA drive for the WAN slot (which would work) buy a PCIe SSD adaptor, either a bare board adaptor or an enclosure from the likes of: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+pcie+ssd+adaptor&crid=HAGHW711MOBK&sprefix=usb+pcie+ssd+adapter%2Caps...  You could then put the Samsung drive you have in the adaptor and clone using the Samsung free software and then swap the drives. The 256GB PCIe drive you remove could then be put to another use as you suggested or if you bought an enclosure you could put it in there and use it as a fast USB drive. You'd then have the enclosure available to work with other drives if needed in the future.

2. Alternative suggestion, just install the 500GB drive and do a nice clean install of your OS having saved any data you have on an external drive.

HTH - Andy

1 Message

December 22nd, 2022 20:00

Hi. Can you explain how you got it to work? I recently bought M.2 2242 SSD but my 5490 cannot detect the SSD thru the WWAN slot. Appreciate your response.

17 Posts

December 26th, 2022 00:00

Hi, I am NOT an expert on this at all, but, from the above discussion it appears the requirements are:

1) The drive in the WWAN slot must be a M.2 SATA drive.

2)  Motherboard must be compatible.

3)  BIOS must support the drive in the WWAN slot.

I have been unable to find much info. on which of the last two items work, or don't work.  Just this thread on this Forum, really.......

17 Posts

Thanks for the replies / info.!

To clarify, assuming I can get it to work, I want to end up with a 500 GB (approx.) M.2 NVMe boot and programs drive where the 256 GB NVMe drive resides now, PLUS install a ~500 GB SATA M.2 drive in the WWAN slot as a data and backup OS drive.  (Data backups would be to an external drive.)

That said, the idea of a NVMe external drive in an enclosure is appealing too, and it guarantees that my primary upgrade to the larger boot drive will work.

FWIW, I see that a 2nd 8 GB Hynix RAM stick is only $18 at present, so, THAT will probably be upgrade #1. 

17 Posts

BTW, from the tone of your reply, I take it that you believe there is a good chance my motherboard and BIOS will support a M.2 SATA drive in the WWAN slot...?

17 Posts

December 26th, 2022 21:00

Well....  I received the Transcend M.2 SATA drive, installed it in the WWAN slot, fired up the 5490, and...  The "original" M.2 NVMe drive still shows up normally as drive C, but, the  SATA drive does not show up under This PC / Windows Explorer.  The SATA drive DOES appear however in Device Manager, which says the correct driver is installed, the drive is working properly, etc.  All except...  It is not initialized.  Now, that threw me a bit as in the past every time I've added a new drive to a machine (those were "conventional" 2.5" SSD's) I did NOT run into this.

So...  now I am proceeding with great caution because "initialization" is totally new to me (as opposed to simple formatting of old style floppy disks) and, it looks like part way into the initialization process using Disk Management one gets into partitioning:  THAT (partitioning) has been problematic for me when I go to clone drives of different capacities using Macrium Reflect.  (The last one I cloned, I ended up with a 1 TB boot drive of which only half is readily available.  This is a new area for me & I'm not sure how to make the rest of that drive available...)

I don't want to screw this up because the idea here is to then clone this SATA drive back to a new / larger (than what came with the 5490) NVMe boot drive, which should arrive in a few days.

17 Posts

December 26th, 2022 21:00

Also, please see my post on this page about "initialization".  Possibly that is an issue?  Did you check for the drive in the WWAN slot using Disk Management?

17 Posts

December 26th, 2022 22:00

EDIT / UPDATE:  Ok... working through Device Manager (Disk Management) for the new disk, I now have it initialized and functioning as a simple single large volume "D", it shows up in File Explorer (as "D"), Volume Label = SATA-SSD, and I successfully created a "Testing" folder on it and saved an image to it, closed everything, then went back to D:\Testing and opened the image with IrfanView (tho' any image viewer such as Paint will work.)  WooHoo!  Halfway there!  (99% of original desire to simply add an internal data drive.)

17 Posts

December 27th, 2022 00:00

Note that I may have done this "the expensive way".  That particularly if I "only" wanted an ~ 500GB SATA data drive and a new 256 GB NVMe boot drive, with the original 256 GB NVMe boot drive ending up in my Lenovo Thinkpad or in an enclosure as a fast USB drive... IF a M.2 NVMe drive will work as a boot drive in the WWAN slot, Samsung 256 GB 2242 NVMe drives are going for as little as $13 on Amazon, and Teamgroup 512 GB 2280 SATA III drives w/ SLC cache are going for $24.49.  That combination is less than what I paid for my new Transcend SATA M.2 2240 data drive...

Granted, one then also needs a M.2 NVMe enclosure on hand for the cloning to the new boot drive, but what the heck -- those enclosures can be pretty handy.  

17 Posts

January 1st, 2023 14:00

Today I added an 8 GB Hynix RAM stick, for a total of two such = 16 GB.  So far I've done nothing that would stress the original 8 GB, but, this gives me lots of "headroom" and should mean the page file is virtually (bad pun) never used.

17 Posts

January 5th, 2023 09:00

Eh, slightly OT, but it looks like the original NVMe drive will end up in an enclosure / as an external drive, or, I'll just beat on it a while 1st.  My Thinkpad N22 will only take SATA M.2's in it's drive slot.

No Events found!