Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 18th, 2018 21:00

Latitude 5591 overheating with ThunderBolt dock station TB16

Hi.

Today found out that my 5591 started to make noise trying to cool down, when i started to investigate what was a problem, cause there was no load at all. I used hwinfo64 to find out what is overheating, and what a surprise it was DELL 0DVVG1 (Intel PCH) and temperature is 72 Celcius when laptop is connected to TB16, and when i unplug TB16 and connect ordinary power supply in a few minutes temper drops to 53 Celcius, and cooler start to slow down. I`am not sure that this is normal behavior.

According to hwinfo lowest PCH Temperature is 48 degrees and highest 80 degrees celcius.

1 Message

September 20th, 2018 20:00

I have the exact same set up and the same thing is happening.  The laptop sounds like a jumbo jet when plugged into the dock, and has actually locked up due to overheating twice today.

September 21st, 2018 06:00

When see Temp Sensor 0 go to around 75*C TB16 connected dual 4k monitor 5591 will system temp throttle.  Drops clock speed to 800mHz for a few seconds.  System cools off, then as it heats back up it throttles again.  Happens every time I watch a youtube or twitch video.  Undervolting in throttlestop can help keep the proc cooler, but it is not proc temp throttling.  It stays in the 70-80*c range.  It appears to be is a temp sensor on the motherboard somewhere that is pulling the plug on my clock cycles.  Fan goes up and down as temp varies and appears normal.  It does not do this when I am running just on the laptop monitor undocked.

12 Posts

October 26th, 2018 02:00

Hello guys,

I have the same issue, any solution to it ? Dell tech told they are going to replace fan and heatsink but I'm not happy about it, since this a brand new system out of the box.

October 26th, 2018 03:00

I found this it happens on mine with the TB16 almost regardless of what I do. I ended up installing and external gpu via thunderbolt and connecting dual monitors to it. Cost me another $1k which pisses me off but no more thermal limiting. It is not a cpu thermal limit. It is connected to the VRM and or thunderbolt.

1 Message

October 29th, 2018 07:00

Not a solution, but I had the laptop open and stuck a fan directly above the PCH chip (which is not at all cooled by any part of the cooling system).  That kept the PCH temp down in the 60's (c).  What I want to do is put a few extra holes in the bottom panel of the laptop and stick a fan on my laptop stand for when I have it plugged in.

With the system proper closed up and with the latest bios, TB16 dock firmware, etc. installed I haven't noticed any impact beyond the system fan spinning just a bit.

October 29th, 2018 12:00

I have mine on a cool board which has 3 fans blowing up into the bottom of the laptop and is slightly elevated to allow air flow.  That helped, but it still temp throttled watching youtube or twitch or anything with prolonged processor and gpu usage.

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

October 30th, 2018 09:00

Do you have the Dell Power Manager installed? I know, I know, it sounds like bloatware, but I've had enough goofy experiences with loud fan noises and general temperature issues that I now install it by default on our Latitudes (mostly 7480's and 7490's).

I don't think it's a dramatic difference but the software at least gives you a few more options for controlling the fan and temperature speed, so it hooks into the hardware on some level.

On a related note, the TB16s still rely on your onboard video on the laptop to push the monitors, so dual 4k monitors are going to heat up the laptop no matter what. Those TB16s are wonky anyway, I have a high failure rate on them (probably RMA'ed 4 or 5 of them in the past 18 months) and I'm pretty sure the heat pounding through the laptop's TB port even fried the HDMI port for my one user who has dual 4k monitors.

October 30th, 2018 09:00

I use power manager.  It is good and you can select from several fan templates.  As for the video card, yes the TB does still use the onboard, but if you connect monitors direct to the laptop or connect via USB, I do not see the temp throttling so it is still an issue tied to the TB16 in my opinion.  It is funny, temp sensor 1 can get much hotter with USB or direct connected monitors, but the system does not temp throttle.  Plug in a TB16 and it does.

In a related thought.  You cannot turn off charging/power when using a TB16.  Even if you plug in a power supply to the laptop, the system appears to pull power from the TB16.  With my external gpu connected via the thunderbolt port, the system is not getting power via the TB port.  I have to plug in a power supply, but I also do not have the temp throttling with that setup.  Wonder if this is a charging/power issue via the TB16 on top of the video data passing through the TB port.  Wish you could disable the changing feature in the TB16.

1 Message

April 25th, 2020 14:00

I have the exact issue.  Got so hot that it fried the TB controller twice.

July 29th, 2020 11:00

same issue with a Precision 5530, I not even running high demand graphics it is only basic MSOffice software, And I hit +70°C. I go to unplug the TB16 thunderbolt wire temp goes down in less then a minute but Loose dual monitor functionality. When i plug the TB16 back after some minutes everything is OK for about an hour then I need to it all over again.

I am using a 180W power supply I hear using the 240W will solve it but I see here that the 240W is being used.

so not sure anymore about upgrading to the 240W power supply.

@Anonymous ???? any input on this???

1 Message

October 5th, 2023 23:55

My latitude 5501 reaches temps of around 105 degrees Celcius. The CPU activity is around 5% and low clock speeds. it's connected to a 1080p monitor.

No Events found!