ZeroAviation
1 Nickel

Re: Latitude 5591 with TB16 Dual Monitor Temperature Throttl

Can't see it... or maybe turning a blind eye. This is definitely a problem, that haunts me every day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

On thursday, the backend engineering team asked me to send them a log from HwINFO during a series of crash throttles.  I did that both with the TB16 setup and my external GPU setup.  BINGO!  The engineering team can now see the crash throttles and apparently what is causing all the issues.  They are working on a BIOS fix that should be in BETA shortly.  Hopefully, I will get a copy of that BETA and can report back.  Essentially, the processors in certain situations are throttling all the way down to 800Mhz instead of to the level they should.  The processors throttle correctly in a benchmark load test, but when it is video and CPU load related such as gaming or watching streams they do not.  Hopefully I will have more info to share soon with the new BIOS update.

Tags (1)
ZeroAviation
1 Nickel

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
numsu
1 Copper

Hey, I was struggling with the same issue with Latitude 5591 and TB16.

This issue decreased my work efficiency drastically. I finally managed to solve it by installing ThrottleStop (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop) and decreasing core voltages.

My stable numbers on i7-8850H and Intel UHD Graphics 630

CPU Core: -160mv

CPU cache: -160mv

Intel GPU: -40mv

No throttling anymore while having three displays (FHD + 2x QHD) connected to the TB16. Change the core voltages at your own risk of course.

0 Kudos

New update. The backend engineers have a Beta BIOS for us to test. I downloaded and installed it last night. Will do some video testing this morning. If all is good they will be releasing this as a public update fix. Apparently there is a bug in the power behavior of these units that we were able to make them see.  Undervolting can mask the problem by simply not letting the power usage hit the throttle point. I have played with throttlestop and XTU both. I never was able to drop the voltage enough but if you limit the turbo clocking it would drop the power usage enough to stay away from the crash throttle. Again this was just a work around for the core behavior issue.

0 Kudos

Testing with a TB16 and dual 4k Monitors at 60Hz.

Testing with 1 twitch stream running:

On the Optimized Power Setting , I am seeing some very strange behavior now.  The various cores are all dropping to 800Mhz at different times.  It appear to be random and not all do it at the same time.  It is almost like the random cylinder drops we do on racecars on the rev limiter.  The performance on this setting is pretty rough.

On Ultra Performance power setting, I see the clock rate drop to 3.4 to 3.5GHz almost immediately on all cores with some dips down to 3.2GHz.  When the stream is stopped, the clocks go to 3.9 to 4.0GHz.  This is not too bad.

I switched back to Optimized Power Setting after testing on Ultra Performance and the behavior basically stays the same as Ultra Performance.  Clock rate drops to 3.5 to 3.3GHz on all cores.  This was pretty strange.  Maybe the Power setting was bugged with the BIOS update and needed to be changed 1 time to clear out?  Temps are the same on this setting as Ultra as well.  Is there any difference in these settings?  Laptop looks pretty much the same on both.

On Quiet Power setting, the clock rate drops to 1.8GHz to 1.9GHz.  1 video is usable, but not great.

On Cool Power Setting, the clock rate drops to 800Mhz and stays there.  This setting is totally unusable with 1 video stream. 

Testing With 2 streams running:

On Ultra Performance, the clock rate drops to 3.2GHz and the video gets pretty choppy at times. 

On Optimized Power Setting, The clock rate drops to 3.2GHz same as Performance.  I do not see any temp differences either. 

On Quiet Power Setting, the clock drops to 1.8GHz and stays.  Video getting more choppy and is barely usable.  Temps definitely drop on this mode from Ultra and Optimized levels.

On Cool Power Setting, again, unusable.

I will report back this afternoon after some power soak on Ultra Performance setting throughout the day.  I will test with the eGPU next week, but the TB16 has historically been the most problematic setup so I want to flog it on this config for a while. 

In general, temperatures would regularly hit high 90s with the previous BIOS even when nothing was really being taxed.  This BIOS even on the Ultra power level with 2 streams running has much cooler temps.  Peaks are now in the mid to low 70s.  I assume this is because the CPU is now down throttling correctly from 4GHz. 

0 Kudos
Zero.989
1 Copper

A new BIOS was posted yesterday that brings down pch temperatures by about 4c to 5c.

0 Kudos
Zero.989
1 Copper

The cpus clock has 0 ties to the pch temperature 

My pch sits at 42c no matter what if I'm at 3ghz or 4.4ghz all cores with my CPU at 90c.

Running multiple screens is too taxing on the Intel uhd630 it requires dual channel memory to really have a chance at one 4k screen.

Dell also doesnt update their drivers. It helps to stay on the latest Intel which is 6607 or something

0 Kudos
giftedpenguin
1 Copper

Where can you download Beta BIOS? I would like to try this out, experiencing the same throttling with a WD15.

0 Kudos

It is not available for public download and it still has bugs.  It fixed some of the issues but not all.  Ultra Performance mode is still crash throttling with the eGPU.  I have sent a recent HWiNFO log to them last week but my Dell contact tells me that the underlying issue was not fixed in the Beta BIOS update.  The backend engineers are digging trying to figure out what is going on as their bandaid fix was not successful.

0 Kudos