Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2019 13:00

Latitude 7350 mini display port to Samsung TV 5300 HDMI

Hi, I have to reach 15 feet and would love to know how to go about it? I want to be able to play music videos, games but also have full projection of my Latitude on the Samsung screen. I looked at AmazonBasics Mini Display Port to HDMI 15 foot cable, Fosmon and others but can’t figure out exactly what would work? Your help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 21st, 2019 14:00

I don't understand the problem either.  Buy any 15-foot Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable and it should work fine.  With video cables that carry digital signals (which is everything except VGA), you either get a stable picture that looks perfect or you get no picture -- or occasionally you'll get an image that occasionally blacks out and comes back if the cable quality is marginal.  But if you have a stable picture, then there's no image quality difference between different cables, so don't worry about brand.  Once you have it connected, your Latitude will treat your TV just like any other additional external display you might attach to the system, meaning that you can choose to mirror your built-in display or use the TV as an independent display.  And if you go to Control Panel > Sound, you'll be able to choose whether to send audio to the TV for playback there or continue playing audio from the built-in speakers.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 07:00

@lja77 wrote:

Hi, it's cause I read that the display port signal is not compatible with HDMI. If the display port output is a dual mode display port then it has the ability to recognize and adjust the signal to HDMI when a passive adapter cable is connected. So I was wondering if I needed an adapter? Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for your quick reply.

The overwhelming majority of DisplayPort outputs built into PCs support dual mode DisplayPort, aka DP++, so that cable should work just fine.  I would try to avoid using an adapter if you can because 15 feet is somewhat long for an HDMI signal to travel, and crossing over couplings between connectors is actually a significant source of degradation in the signal path, and an adapter adds two more couplings to the overall path, so having a long cable plus an adapter might not work even though just a cable of that length would. That admittedly might not be as much of a problem if you're running 1080p 60 Hz rather than 4K 60 Hz or even 4K 24 Hz, though, because the bandwidth requirements are much lower for 1080p.

But if you do find that the cable doesn't work, you'd need an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.  Most adapters are passive, so check the specs carefully if you need to go that route.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 21st, 2019 13:00

I don't understand the problem. 15' feet is not 100'

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 07:00

Hi, it's cause I read that the display port signal is not compatible with HDMI. If the display port output is a dual mode display port then it has the ability to recognize and adjust the signal to HDMI when a passive adapter cable is connected. So I was wondering if I needed an adapter? Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for your quick reply.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

I'll do exactly as you recommended. Thanks again. 

No Events found!