Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

June 4th, 2018 06:00

Latitude 7390 audio jack issue

Hello,

I have just setup a Dell latitude 7390 on windows 10, the audio speakers work fine but it does not seem to detect when headphones are plugged in the headphone jack so if I do that, the sound remains on the speakers.

I have tried uninstalling the audio devices from the device manager and reinstalling with the Dell drivers file but it still doesn't work.

All my drivers are up to date with Dell command update.

Any ideas?

10 Posts

June 4th, 2018 07:00

The first time you plugin the headphones it should prompt you what you plugged in.  To reset this on your tray click on the blue and white W icon and then click on Maxx Audio Pro.  Click on headphones icon to change the output or reset the popup.  You can change the output here and do some tests. If you click on playback, then you can see you can click to Show pop-up dialog when device is connected.  Try doing it again and then choose the right device when you plugin your headphones.

If you don't have the Maxx Audio Pro running in the tray that could be reinstalled.  We had a problem with an older dell that it would default to "line in" instead of headphones if you didn't pay attention to the popup. 

August 19th, 2018 23:00

Same issue

Jesus Dell latitude laptops are junk status.

The laptop has been crashing everyday multiple times- Dell saying nothing wrong with the laptop- then last weekend quietly released a software update to firmware for graphics card that has fixed the issue.  

Hate Dell.

Now I have noticed after fixing the freezing issue, with the firmware update; I can no longer plug the headphones into the headphone jack and have sound go through the headphones.... jesus christ.

Come on Dell, fix your **bleep** products

Never buying a Dell anything for personal use.  Just too unreliable.  **bleep** I have to use one for work.  Suggesting to my management they move off Dell ASAP

September 20th, 2018 09:00

I don't get this prompt at all, I haven't installed anything weird (as this is the PC account without administrator properties) As well as this is a reoccurring issue with nearly two-dozen other identical spec laptops. The audio-jack never worked from the beginning with any earbuds etc., but speakers worked just fine. I tried to contact Dell support, however, I had to leave before I had the problem diagnosed.

I'm not too sure at all to what is happening. I have this same issue with my Dell Inspiron at home, but I've lived with this.

Side note, with the Inspiron, plugging in stereo speakers works (with a restart) However, plugging in anything else does not work.

October 16th, 2018 14:00

I had this very same issue in 37 laptops (7490 and 7390) in my company. After breaking out my head we discovered that the audio jack is much more tight than other laptops, so you have to plug your earphones using a little bit more pressure, until you hear a "click". It solved the problem for us!!!

1 Message

November 21st, 2018 21:00

I have same problem.

It happens at two 7390 so far, but I think there is a possibility that the damage will expand.

So I asked DELL PRO SUPPORT for repair. (Now he is repairing near me.)

But, he can not solve the problem even if the motherboard is replaced....

1 Message

February 10th, 2019 20:00

You can try the following, it solved my audio jack problem in my dell latitude 7390.

Open Task Manager, choose Startup tab, then disable HD Audio Background Process. Then choose Processes, end task HD Audio Background Process,(there are two of them).

Then uninstall Realtek Audio driver. In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the audio driver, and then select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

After the restart the audio jack works fine for my headphones. 

1 Message

July 3rd, 2019 07:00

This procedure worked just fine for my Dell Latitude 7490 which also had a non-functioning headphone jack as well - thanks!

1 Message

July 27th, 2019 07:00

Hi Everyone,

Indeed this is the known problem as I am also facing it.

I tried very simple thing and now it is working, just give it a try.

Plugin your audio device, and now turn on the laptop. It will not detect as in the popup, but will start to work.

If it still doesn't work, keep your audio device plugin and restart laptop.

Enjoy the sound through the audio jack.

Arslan,

Pakistan / Belgium

1 Message

October 16th, 2019 14:00

same issue! how did you guys resolve this?

1 Message

November 4th, 2019 19:00

I had my Latitude 3490 with same audio jack issue. Plugged external speakers or headphones were never detected while laptop was powered on. It only detected audio peripherals plugged-in before start-up. That was irritating!. I tried all the usual diagnostics - update driver, uninstall and reinstall device drivers etc and had no  success.

Thanks to your post. It is working normal as it should be.

I think Dell and its technical team needs to come out and inform their consumers at large on this audio issue because it is a common problem faced by Dell Computer/ Laptop uses worldwide.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2019 14:00

This worked perfect for me. I spent about 12 hours trying to fix this frustrating issue. THANK YOU for taking the time to post this fix for my headphone jack on my Inspirion 11 3000 laptop. I am now rocking it out with my music and surfing the we while not disturbing my wife. Merry Christmas! Be kind to each other. 

December 26th, 2019 12:00

@passin13 

Thank you Sir!

Your solution was very helpfull for my Dell Latitude 7300 issue.

Wish you all the best!

Solution from @passin13 :

You can try the following, it solved my audio jack problem in my dell latitude 7390.

Open Task Manager, choose Startup tab, then disable HD Audio Background Process. Then choose Processes, end task HD Audio Background Process,(there are two of them).

Then uninstall Realtek Audio driver. In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the audio driver, and then select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

After the restart the audio jack works fine for my headphones. 

1 Message

March 6th, 2020 00:00

I had this problem helped me the way described above

2 Posts

I have been doing this (reinstalling) every time I use headphone.

It's disgusting. Not sure why it happens. I didn't have that problem when I bought this laptop a year ago, but started happening for last few months.

2 Posts

That's not a real solution. Why do I have to restart my laptop whenever I need to plug or unplug my headphone? Let's say you're in the middle of an important work and you don't want to restart your computer but you want to watch a video (that's needed for your running project) where you need to be silent. It's super annoying.

It's a definitely a defect.

No Events found!