Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

18 Posts

April 13th, 2020 05:00

Latitude 7400, fan noise, design flaw?

I have this new, for work, Dell Latitude 7400 with Intel Core i7-8665U CPU. 90% of the time, the fan is so loud. CPU is throttled up when it is plugged to the charger or when tethered to this expensive dell thunderbolt port. And yes, I use it on a proper wooded table. Now as I type this message, even on battery the fan is blowing full speed.

It just seems that the Laptop is more like a jet engine, or hairdryer, and believe me, it is beyond annoying to me and others around me. In this work from home time, the least I would expect is a noisy laptop driving me nuts.  

I had come back to using Dell after 10 years of hiatus. Have had used laptops from all brands from Dells, HPs, Lenovos, Fujitsus, Acers, MacBook Pro’s and never would have imagined myself to this disappointment. 

To be honest I do not care how business laptops should look. This run to make laptops sexy and thin, then ask to buy all these port replicators is pure nonsense. It is like selling an electric car without a charging cable. I would have been impressed if you made purely functional laptops. In our architecture and design industry, we follow this adage, “Form follows function”. No wired LAN port on a business laptop is blasphemous enough. Imagine the pain of getting it started on private networks where WIFI is locked out.

Note for Dell Product Designers:

1. Did you guys just push off an engineering sample into the market without enough testing?

2. Please note, if you are making business laptops, do not forget a physical LAN Port, or give those USB Lan adapters free. I give you an IDEA, which you will cash on in the future. Make an attachment of LAN Adapter which could be attached to laptop chargers for portable carrying, use magnet coupling, or plastic latches or whatever.

3. Third is, learn from this another adage which states, you shall reap what you sow. I sincerely hope people don't dump it back.

I am sorry for my rant, but I cannot contain my disappointment. 

Thanks and best wishes.

FH

13.04.2020, Berlin - Germany

4 Posts

September 21st, 2020 03:00

hi, thank you for the suggestion.

I noticed that the setting was "Optimized"  and I had fan noise. So, I have since set the option to "Cool" at the expense of performance - in the hope that this will cause the least damage to the system (in terms of heat). I still have the fan hiss. : -(

I guess one cannot overcome a design flaw.  Very disappointed with Dell for their epic failure in the Dell Latitude 7400 engineering design.

In future I will be very mindful of the fan location - in any laptop I buy.  Dell Latitude 7400 has proved to be a warning lesson for buying laptops.

12 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 00:00

Hi there, I reported the same problems on my 1st month experience with 2-in-1 7410.  The fan noise is truly annoying.  The unit turns automatically - we can't choose - to High Performance plan when charging.  What rationale is this when there are different power plans available?

Same here, I returned to using Dell notebooks after many years.  Yes, the notebook looks good.  Functions well when in battery mode.  But when being charged, it turns into an annoying mini jet engine or a hair dryer.  Not seen in other major brands.  

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 22:00

Thanks for sharing about ThrottleStop, I just installed version 9.2

How do you set EPP to 100 and what does EPP means?

Mine is 128 but it's greyed out and I can't seem to be able to change it...

BTW I installed Dell Power Manager v3.6.0 and went to Thermal Management > Thermal Setting > Quiet and POOF! the noise was gone instantly.

My BIOS is 1.7.3 and I disabled the TurboBoost (I have kept SpeedShift though... should I disable SpeedShift?)

Thanks a lot for the thread, and I hope DELL with fix this major issue because it really big time to buy a nice laptop with carbon cover and yadayada... but no point if it's going to sound like a jet engine!!! I also have HEADACHES!

3 Posts

September 27th, 2020 13:00

I have exactly the same issue, it's driving me crazy!!!

Its bad on battery but it even gets worse plugged in, I have the feeling it gets especially bad when being docked to the docking station. One or two frames in Firefox and an idle XLS open in the background are enough to bring the fan to a really disturbing level.

But what is the worst part of the fan problem is, that the internatl MICROPHONE is located in a way, that it "PERFECTLY" PICKS UP THE FAN NOISE. We are currently audio/video conferencing a lot (work, not for fun) and all colleagues are complaining about the audible fan noise, they are actually asking (no joke!!) if someone is vacuum cleaning in the background and ask me to turn it off!

This is more than a design flaw, its really really bad construction, I would be happy by now to return the notebook but its issued by corporate - so no chance I will get rid of it.

Please DELL reply with a solution.

3 Posts

September 27th, 2020 14:00

Is this the goal of a COMMUNITY "forum" (look up the latin word please) to post private messages for problems that obviously a lot of people seem to have (withholding a possible solution from them) ???

12 Posts

September 28th, 2020 22:00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Powersetting CSEnabled to "1"

What is CS?  I don't find this under "Power" .

Thank you.

4 Posts

September 29th, 2020 06:00

Hello Community

Yes .. To avoid fan noise I use the laptop in battery mode for as long log as I can.  Initially I did not think of it.  But by chance I noticed that I had not been hearing the noise for a while.  I wondered and found that the laptop was not plugged in.  Any way since then I have been using it in battery mode for as long as I can and then charge the laptop when I am not using it.

I had not had to use the laptop for audio/video calls.  Now that I know that the mic picks up fan noise, I will be mindful. Annoying. 

How disappointing for a big name in the laptop game to have made such a basic and epic failure of design engineering.  Shame on you DELL.  

1 Message

October 1st, 2020 05:00

Dear Dell-Cares, I also am having this problem on a new 7400 Latitude laptop I received from my company recently. Fan is really loud and annoying, and my prior 4 y/o Dell Latitude E7470 did not do this with same application usage. I would think a new machine would be more robust than the old one. If there is a solution (firmware or other software? replacement sensor or fan? ) please advise. Otherwise, I guess this would be covered by warranty. Thank you.

4 Posts

October 1st, 2020 06:00

So now, the million dollar question, since we are not going to buy any more of 7400... Is the new model 7410 any better? Did they fix the botched thermal design? What improvement has been done? And is it silent. Also for the price of these machines I wonder why the lit keyboard is not yet available....

Hi, for this fan noise in Dell Latitude 7400 did you find any solution from Dell.

4 Posts

So far the only solution I found was to download Dell Power Manager v 3.6.0 and choose the Quiet Mode. At the expense of performance indeed (which is clearly noticed during Zoom calls and Google Meet calls). I also updated the BIOS to latest version 1.10.1 for good measure.

Did you get this issue of fan noise in Dell Latitude 7400 sorted by Dell?

• 

25.1K Posts

Hello ssena1, please drop us a private note with the service tag of your machine and we will be happy to look into this issue.

I wish I cloud throw this laptop in a bucket of water along with the dock.

If the fan noise was not enough to make me go crazy, the Dell WD19DC dock is as loud as leafblower, in night it would suddenly start blowing air. BTW, just to inform all I have it in a cool location, ambient temperature around 25-27 degrees on a clean dust-free table. Both this Laptop, i.e. Dell Latitude 7400 and Dell WD19DC dock seem to be in competing in a 'Fan Noise match' (read-shouting match). Maybe Dell should consider sending a 3 year supply of aspirin or a noise-cancelling headphones with it.

I will be recommending the IT Department of our Fortune 500 organisation to stop leasing this headache of a machine.

October 2nd, 2020 02:00

Okay. So here is the video link of the problem. There are two videos for this forum and Dell to see for themselves: The video are not publicly posted(and are unlisted). I have no intent to shame a company or whatever. RANT: The fan grills are on bottom of laptop, what a joke, call it laptop, and block the vents by keeping it on lap. and the the other vents are further compromised by LCD Screen are The design engineers must be sent back to a workshop. I guess even if I was asked to design a Dock, I would have put a massive heatsink and decent fan. The dock thermal design is laughable. VIDEO: Check it for yourself, the video description is clear. Interestingly now the fan of the dock is running every 10 seconds. I don't have the energy to shoot another one. Also I am not a tech reviewer thus don't have thermometer to check the surface temperature, but I bet if I kept this laptop on my lap, it would give me burns. Btw, I uploaded the video using another computer. This laptop needs exorcism and the dock too. https://youtu.be/KnyVG7bgJ6I https://youtu.be/RY43T1zl8rg
No Events found!