Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 1st, 2018 12:00

Latitude 7490 Overheating

We have 7490's and about a third of them run at 100% for NO REASON.

I LITERALLY JUST UNBOXED 5 OF THEM AND 2 OUT OF 5 ARE BLOWING AT 100% FAN POWER.

The other 3 are silent. This is straight out of the box behavior, with stock power adapters. 

Disabling Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS fixes this temporarily. I rolled them up to 1.3.3 (latest bios) and saw no change. The laptops are actually hot. Like this is clearly a thermo problem if 3 of them are fine out of the box.

November 9th, 2018 02:00

I have the same issue with latitude E7490, how can you help me?

1 Message

November 16th, 2018 01:00

Can we do something about this please Dell - at least acknowledge there's an underlying issue here?

If we can at least acknowledge this so we can move on and expect a fix at some point - right now I'm down a rabbit hole looking at every possible cause when I know this is an issue with the model....

We're piloting these and right now we can't be confident enough to pick the 7490 as our goto model.

8 Posts

November 17th, 2018 04:00

I doubt it. I recently purchased 5491 with 8850H and have the same problems. Cooler pad to the rescue I must say if you dare to game or compile a code or do anything CPU intensive. IMHO from what I figured out so far one major culprit is the paperthin heatpipes and something has to push this heat outside (obviously). Not to mention 1$ cooler. I am only glad that I didn't buy a version with dGPU. Considering overheating/throttling issues in all lines of new Dell laptops, I can only await for a wave of broken GPU chips reports to arise since it is the weakest point in the a whole modern laptop ecosystem (since it is a Pb free BGA). I tried to make a situation a bit better by glueing up two additional heatpipes but this is the best you can get. I ended up limiting max CPU freq to 2,2Ghz (originally 2,6). This in consequence disabled turbo, but at least I got all 12 cores at 100% load to work. This was done in Linux, so for Windows an equivalent software is needed. More info in here

November 17th, 2018 19:00

I have the same issue. At random times, mostly (maybe only) when plugged in, the fan will pulsate, like an engine revving up.

The laptop has plenty of airflow during these times, so it's not like it's starved for cooling. I typically have Chrome with at most 3 tabs, and Google Drive running in the background. CPU is ~4% during these episodes.

November 21st, 2018 06:00

I advise all of you to call dell support and provide them with your service tag number and explain the problem since probably your laptop still under warranty.

I contacted one of Dell's accounts on Twitter account @DellCaresPro, they asked me to disable Intel turbo boost from BIOS and to lower the processor power management to 99% instead of 100% and the issue dramatically was reduced. But I told them this is not a solution, I bought this laptop for its high end specification and in this way I will lose some of that, either you fix the issue or giver me back my money.  Then Dell arranged a technician visit to me at home which hopefully will be tomorrow. The technician called me and I asked him what exactly will be do, and he said most probably he will change the mother board and the fan. 

I'm afraid this new mother board and fan will be for an older laptops models that didn't encounter this issue. Does anyone knows how can I compare both mother boards?

40 Posts

November 21st, 2018 09:00

I think they will replace with the same FAN model + same motherboard model.

You will still have your issue, plus you might get some broken screws after the visit of the technician.

Good luck with your brand new computer ;)

November 21st, 2018 09:00

@raf2222 wrote:

I think they will replace with the same FAN model + same motherboard model.

You will still have your issue, plus you might get some broken screws after the visit of the technician.

Good luck with your brand new computer ;)

@raf2222 😂😂😂😂

28 Posts

November 21st, 2018 10:00

new BIOS 1.7.1

Enhancements:
- Updated Thermal Algorithm for performance.

40 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 02:00

I tested this new bios but it does not change anything about the fan noise.

The only way which is OK is by using throttleStop (TDP 15/25 instead of 22/44), and multiplier limit set to 21 (2.1 GHZ max).

That way I never overpass the 70celcius, and the computer is super quiet.

However, according to passmark, my CPU score went from 9400 points to 6400 points, so you roughly lose 1/3 of the performance.

November 22nd, 2018 09:00

The technician from Dell has visited me today and replaced the motherboard and the fan but unfortunately the problem still exist. So disappointing, this laptop price is around 1,600 $ and I just bought it 2 weeks ago, from day one I faced this issue and got those parts replaced ! And yet the problem remains !! So disappointed at you Dell.

40 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 06:00

I do not understand why Dell support is asking to open a "brand new computer which has less than two weeks" in order to replace the "FAN" + "Motherboard" for a known issue that is not related at all to that ...

For a two week old computer, you should consider the computer as DOA (Dead on arrival) and replace the complete whole stuff.

Honestly, I have very bad experience with Dell support technician that completely "killed" my laptop with broken screws, bended keyboard ... No way I will ask a technician to touch a brand new computer!

This 7x90 series is a very bad serie. I do not see the point going with dell anymore if they are selling sh*t.

EDIT: Just look all the problems people are reporting on the new laptop models (even the XPS series), Dell is now providing entry level computers instead of premium.
No QA, nothing has been done to fix the problem before production. It is a complete non-sense.

To dell: Please let me know how many watts the cooling system can handle on the 7490 ?
If you do not have the answer, I can give it to you. It is 10w.
If you go higher than 10w, you will overheat.
On the CPU I have (intel 8650u), the default TDP value are 22/44w.
How can you cool down 44w with a 10w cooling system ?

35 Posts

December 1st, 2018 01:00

Did anyone know, why Dell does not offer the 1.7.1 update anymore on their website? I just checked and the lastest version available is 1.6.0.

40 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 00:00

My computer is currently in 1.7.1. Would be great to know if we should go back to 1.6.0. Dell, do you have any advise on it?

December 11th, 2018 07:00

I think Dell retracted the Bios version 1.7.1.  I am not able to find it on the drivers support page for a few of my 7490's.  They are also failing to update with Dell Command Update.  Command update wants to install bios 1.7.1 as a "docking station update".  However it fails to download the binary file.

I think if your machine is working on v1.7.1, I would leave it as is.   They will probably have a 1.7.2 in the near future.  I am advising my users to not even attempt it right now.

I am running into a similar issue with the keyboard of a 2month old 7490.  Some of the right hand keys have an audible and physical "clack" sound when they are used.  The keyboard and black plate have both been replaced, and depot repair is saying that it is "with in spec"

However. good luck buying a current i7 ultrabook from  HP with 16GB Ram, 512 GB SSD, and liquid damage protection.  I ordered a spectre and pro book and it took them over a month to fullfill.

December 12th, 2018 01:00

BIOS version 1.7.2 has been released today.

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue that occurs in the system setup (BIOS) where the system stops responding when hot swapping a Dell dock that has an external monitor plugged.
- Fixed system unable to resume from sleep after undock from WD15 or TB16 dock with USB power share enable.

Enhancements:
- Updated Thermal Algorithm for performance.
- Updated embedded controller engine firmware.
- Enhanced Wake on Lan to PXE feature on DELL WD15/TB16 dock.
- Enhanced the supportability for BIOS attribute management through Windows Management Instrumentation service.
- Replaces Absolute Software service from Computrace to Absolute Persistence Module service.

No Events found!