Highlighted
1 Copper

Latitude 7490 Overheating

We have 7490's and about a third of them run at 100% for NO REASON.

I LITERALLY JUST UNBOXED 5 OF THEM AND 2 OUT OF 5 ARE BLOWING AT 100% FAN POWER.

The other 3 are silent. This is straight out of the box behavior, with stock power adapters. 

Disabling Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS fixes this temporarily. I rolled them up to 1.3.3 (latest bios) and saw no change. The laptops are actually hot. Like this is clearly a thermo problem if 3 of them are fine out of the box.

49 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Latitude 7490 Overheating

Hi dfriedmango,

I sent you a PM...

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted

I am a consumer. Recently my much loved E7270 was hit by lightning. It had been purchased at Dell outlet. I was going back to purchase either a 7390, or a 7490. Reading all the thermal issues, irritating hi rev fan noise issues, even with a bumper to bumper 3 year warranty, the annoyance of being without a machine, while it is being continually repaired is an issue also. Even with my 7270, it was at the Dell facility getting repaired several times, finally getting touchpad replaced due to erratic cursor activity.Finally that was resolved, then the lightning hit!!

I like the Latitude series purchased from Dell Outlet. Good pricing, excellent warranty, latest product. I'm in dire need of a fairly priced laptop, as my 3rd generation Intel backup laptop has it's own issues as well...Ive always owned Dell product...Anyone have any suggestions on near term purchase of a comparable laptop. I think the consumer Inspiron laptop having same issue....I think to some degree its the 8th generation Intel product and  trying squeeze these heaters into slim framed laptops..

Should I contact Dell to get an estimate to fix my 7270, it will not boot...lightning fried it via RG45 connector and cable connection?...should I buy 7390 or 7490 with bumper to bumper warranty & hope for the best, how about Inspiron series, same thermal overheating/fan rev noise, correct?...

Any suggestions for new purchase? I use my laptop for internet & writing a book on my ancestors, all lite duty, but like a responsive computer...almost thought about going back to purchase XPS desktop, better cooling capabilities...any issues there?

Thanks for your attention!

Mike

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi. Is there any fix for this problem?

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue with latitude E7490, how can you help me?
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi

Same issue here. Unboxed and fan running constantly, the machine gets quite hot from the bottom. About to upgrade BIOS to 1.3.3, but according to the "what's new" I don't expect any fixes on this. Did youget any good advice regarding the issue?

Best regards,

Felson

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same issue here (with most recent BIOS).
Does not happen when on Battery

Highlighted
1 Copper

My Latitude 7490 had the same symptoms, fan running all the time and the system was hot. In the Task Manager I could see that the WSAPPX process was taking much of the CPU time, at minimum 25%. Via Google I found instructions to change in Local Group Policy Editor setting both for Computer Configuration and User Configuration:

> Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Store > Enable the Store application

These were originally set to "Not configured", so it seemed ambivalent. Setting to Enable made the WSAPPX to behave, running only immediately after start up to check the updates for apps installed via the store. The original instructions said to disable the setting, but then you don't have the Store, so this no option.

But my 7490 is still having major problems with the 1803 update, still waiting for MS to come up with a proper update... =(

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Be mindful that you need to give Windows 10 time to settle after setup (it can take hours before it's recompiled the libraries or whatever it's doing, especially if you start applying full load immediately). Same thing happens with an iPhone immediately after an OS upgrade btw, that's why people are always complaining about reduced battery performance at each and every new version.

Note: There is definitely other stuff that can cause the CPU to get stuck in high gear. We've found the audio driver to be a regular suspect, upgrading/downgrading or just remove and reinstall usually fixes it.

Highlighted
1 Copper

My 7490 i7 has the same issue here,  very annoying, just upgraded from 7470 which never have this issue.

Fan almost always on  especially on power. 

Any resolution ?

thanks

Jim