Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2018 14:00

Latitude D380 Not Turning On (Power Issue)

Hi! I bought a Latitude D830 sometime in 2007 - I think. When I plug the laptop in, the light on the adapter block turns green but the light on the laptop flashes on and off from green to orange very rapidly. I'm pretty sure it is a battery issue because one time I managed to get into the BIOS and it said 'battery not connected'. The problem is, I absolutely cannot afford a battery. I can definitely afford a power cord, though. One time I managed to get into Windows and it worked for a minute, then all of a sudden it said, 'Windows is shutting down...' This has happened multiple times, but it's definitely better. Before it wouldn't even turn on!

What do I do?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 4th, 2018 05:00

but the light on the laptop flashes on and off from green to orange very rapidly  (This can mean dead battery)

Remove the battery completely and plug in the adapter.  It should come on and run with no battery at all. When You press the release for the battery you use your fingernail to grip the tab in the center and remove the battery like opening a door on a hinge center comes out first not all at once.

You may need to open the memory compartment and replace the reserve cmos coin cell battery however.

Given the age of this system OVER 15 years old its likely bad as well.

Latitude D830 User’s Guide PDF

Dell Latitude D830 Service Manual PDF

Latitude D830 Quick Reference Guide PDF

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 17:00

Remove the battery.  If the system will run normally on AC only, you're set.

If it won't, there's more wrong than (just) the battery - try another Dell AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, it's the system board that's faulty.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 13:00

I am unable to open the door to the battery compartment. Am I doing it right? I'm holding the switch down and pulling the door open at the same time. I was going to provide a picture, but it's not working.

EDIT: After using a knife, I was able to pull out the battery. It works much longer, but sometimes it randomly turns off and won't turn back on for a while. I think I might need a new adapter.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

April 4th, 2018 04:00

I wouldn't spend the money on a new adapter for this decade-old system -- you're better off replacing the system with a new one.

No Events found!