Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2019 02:00

Latitude E5470 - Black screen after latest win 10 Cumilitave update - Latest Drivers installed

My E5470 has been working fine with windows 10, its mainly used in my dock at the office, for 2 external screens.

I recently upgraded to 1903, all was fine. but a few days ago needed to take my laptop out of the office, but then noticed, windows would boot, show a flash of the logon screen, then go black. The hard drive activity lights would still be flashing.

I tried shortcut keys to switch displays etc, nothing, just stays black.

If i put it back on the dock at this point, then the external screens came on..

So my first though was to chipset & update graphics drivers, 

Version: 26.20.100.6888 ,A14

Last Updated Date: 10 Jul 2019

File Name: Video_Driver_977FV_WN32_26.20.100.6888_A14.EXE

also bios to 

Version: 1.20.4 ,1.20.4

Last Updated Date: 10 Jun 2019

But same issues.

If i remove the driver completely and just use the MS Basic Display Driver then the laptop screen works fine (obviously cant leave it like this, but for now its the only way i can use the laptop as a laptop.)

Next step was to do a fresh rebuild of windows 10 1903, after install, things looks fine, updated drivers and everything working as expected, but then after the latest cumulative windows update the issue returned. 

Have spoke iwth dell support, but as the warranty's expired was told they cant help, spoke with Intel support, they said speak with Dell, Spoke with MS Support they said to speak with Dell.

Is this a known issue due to be fixed with a new driver by Dell soon? Would be useful to have my laptop to be able to work as a laptop again!

Cheers

August 7th, 2019 07:00

Hey @GarryOwens I found your post earlier in the week when I was experiencing the same issue (our IT pushed our Windows 10 1903 *and* BIOS updates in the same go).

Earlier today I discovered this thread https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Lattitude-E5570-Bios-Issue-after-update-to-1-20-4/td-p/7321731

The advice to Disable the Panel Self Refresh (when on battery) within the Intel Graphics Settings application is what has solved this for me - maybe try this too and see if you have any luck...

July 26th, 2019 02:00

noticed a newer bios yesterday, have updated but still the same issues

Version: 1.21.4 ,1.21.4

Last Updated Date: 25 Jul 2019

File Name: Latitude_E5x70_Precision_3510_1.21.4.exe

File size: 13.81 MB

also noted that if im working normally on 3 screens (laptop and 2 external when docked) if i then live undock the laptop, the laptop screen stays on for about 15-20 seconds, then goes black (backlit black)

If i then redock the laptop, the 2 external displays come back, but the laptop screen stays black until restarted.

August 7th, 2019 08:00

Hi @GavinAshford many thanks for pointing this out and has resolved it for me! phew!

So many thanks for this!

Garry

January 14th, 2020 07:00

thanks. Sorted my issue. (Y)

February 5th, 2020 11:00

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue, of course I have tried all that has been proposed in previous post inside this thread (powe setup, BIO setup, fresh install of Windows 10,, etc)

My question now is that I can NOT use the solution of  unselect the option inside the "Intel Graphics Settings application" because this application is no longer existing if you install the latest graphics driver from Intel.

Any idea on how to search for this option in the new "Intel Graphics Command Center"? There is way to recover the application "Intel graphics Setting"?

February 6th, 2020 03:00

Hello again,

This post is just to note that the same option as well exist in the "Intel Graphics Settings application", although a little bit hard to find. It is under System/Powering/Battery and works exactly like to one for the previous application.

Now my E5470 is working fine with the battery and fully updated drivers and WIn10 1909

August 13th, 2022 10:00

Thanks for your post. I won't bother with a Windows reload, just to get the same problem. I did the driver reload and had the black screen revert to normal with no drivers. Safe Mode boot was also no black screen. Seems a Dell issue as both Intel Graphics and Windows OS don't detect issue. 

No Events found!