Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2018 02:00

Latitude E6400 with Windows 10 updated to 1803: sound now is crackling every 5 sec

Microsoft updated to 1803 version and the audio is not working properly anymore... in any output I use.

I tried switching from IDT drivers to High Definition drivers (as suggested so many times in the past) but this time the result remains the same: the sound cracks every 5 seconds or so, periodically.

24 Posts

June 2nd, 2018 01:00

I have 2 Dell e6400's with sound problems after Windows 10 version 1803 update. I tried every solution I could find. I even thought it was the speakers so I replaced them still the same thing. I read somewhere on the internet to "disable" eSATA ports in bios, this worked perfect ! both of my e6400 laptops the sound was sputtering, jittering, poping, distorted, flickering webcam, bad sound and video playback on dvd's all fixed ! Just go into bios ( make sure your bios is updated to latest version ) scroll down to "System Configuration" \ "Miscellaneous Devices" click on this on the left side of the bios screen, on the right side of the screen uncheck the "Enable eSATA Ports" check box, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen,  exit bios, and that should fix it. This solution may work on other laptops. I don't know why it works ? It must be some kind of internal software conflict.

Important: If you ever load "Bios Defaults" you may have to uncheck "enable eSATA Ports" again.

• 

16.7K Posts

May 14th, 2018 04:00

dof0036,

Unfortunately, Dell does not support Windows 10 on the Latitude E6400.Below are some links for resolving audio issues with your system.

How do I resolve audio issues on my Dell computer?

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

4 Posts

May 14th, 2018 08:00

@DELL-Jesse Lwrote:

dof0036,

Unfortunately, Dell does not support Windows 10 on the Latitude E6400.Below are some links for resolving audio issues with your system.

How do I resolve audio issues on my Dell computer?

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

These links are not useful at all.

My question to the Community (NOT to Dell Support) is obviously related to the most recent upgrade made by MS Windows 10 since April the 30th.

With MS Windows 10 version 1709 my E6400 worked perfect until yesterday.

Thanks anyway.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2018 09:00

Same problem here, returned to build 1709.
I hope this problem will be fixed.

Fred

4 Posts

May 14th, 2018 10:00

I've tried to rollback the drivers: the IDT one can be rolled back, but the High Definition audio device driver (Microsoft version 10.0.17134.48 dated 18-04-30) cannot.

And the problem is still there too...

May 24th, 2018 04:00

I have the same problem.

I contacted Dell directly and they said they will only support the E6400 up to Windows 7.

Rolling back to the previous Windows 10 build isn't really an option. So, unless Dell is willing to fix the driver, I guess we're all stuck with the problem.

!!! My solution - Don't by Dell !!!!

And, tell everyone you come across not to purchase high-end Dell systems. They won't be supported long-term.

This was a VERY expensive notebook when I purchased it nine years ago. Up until Win10 1803 it did everything I required of it. And it's STILL faster than many current cheap off-the-shelf notebooks today. 

I'm guessing this is a fairly simple driver issue for Dell to fix. But if Dell's not going to support their high-end systems for something like this, I'm simply never going to purchase another one.

I will advise our IT department. And I'll recommend we go with another manufacturer going forward.

And I recommend everyone else here do the same.

1 Message

May 24th, 2018 18:00

Agree with other users on this problem.   If Dell had advised not to upgrade, I would have declined Microsoft update.  Now audio is hosed.   This fix should be relatively painless to customer base.   Dell walking away from its base.   System working well prior to the 1803 windows 10 update.  Now audio clips every 5 seconds with no way to revert back to earlier driver.    Shame on Dell!    Beginning to think Apple may have had the right approach to closed OS when this Dell crappy approach to customer complaints.   

2 Posts

May 25th, 2018 07:00

Had a client with this issue and I installed an older version of the Intel rapid storage driver...fixed it for him. Another version made the laptop stop booting to Windows until I removed it offline, but this one worked.

Try driver version 14.8.0.1042 

link to Intel driver

1 Message

May 25th, 2018 16:00

@cpdist wrote:

Had a client with this issue and I installed an older version of the Intel rapid storage driver...fixed it for him. Another version made the laptop stop booting to Windows until I removed it offline, but this one worked.

Try driver version 14.8.0.1042 

link to Intel driver

CDPist, you're the best.  This solved our problem perfectly.  Thank you very much.

May 26th, 2018 06:00

!!! Thanks !!!

This worked no problem! I downloaded the zip file to the E6400 notebook. Then I right clicked on the INF file and chose 'Install'.

I restarted the system and the sound is fixed !!!

4 Posts

May 29th, 2018 07:00

How to do this with a clean install? When i click on the inf files, os says "dit not found file" And i can not install the file...

When i look in services.msc there is no intel file.... in build 1709 there is.

Fred

2 Posts

May 29th, 2018 10:00

Use device manager and update the driver for the raid controller there. Point it to the folder with the .INF file (and other driver files) and you should be able to force it to use that version.

May 29th, 2018 14:00

I am having the exact problem 

Going back to fall creators updates resolve the issue 

May 30th, 2018 10:00

Jesse the fix is very simple 

reinstall intel rapid storage to and older version 

24 Posts

June 2nd, 2018 00:00

I have 2 Dell e6400's with sound problems after Windows 10 version 1803 update. I tried every solution I could find. I even thought it was the speakers so I replaced them, still the same thing. I read somewhere on the internet to "disable" eSATA ports in bios, this worked perfect ! both of my e6400 laptops the sound was sputtering, jittering, poping, distorted, flickering webcam, bad sound and video playback on dvd's all fixed ! Just go into bios ( make sure your bios is updated to latest version ) scroll down to "System Configuration" \ "Miscellaneous Devices" click on this on the left side of the bios screen, on the right side of the screen uncheck the "Enable eSATA Ports" check box, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen,  exit bios, and that should fix it. This solution may work on other laptops. I don't know why it works ? It must be some kind of internal software conflict.

Important: If you ever load "Bios Defaults" you may have to uncheck "enable eSATA Ports" again.

Sorry this is double posted, I couldn't find a way to delete one post

No Events found!