Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2018 09:00

Latitude E6530 mSata SSD using Samsung PM851 (miniSata)

Will a Samsung PM851 mSata SSD work with my Latitude E6530 i7 running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit? If yes, can it be use to boot Windows OS? Below detailed link pertains to a driver for Samsung PM851 2.5" for the Latitude E6530. 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6530/drivers

Samsung PM851 Solid State Drive Firmware Update
Serial ATA  Download 

Importance: Recommended

Version: EXT08D0Q ,A00

Release Date: 23 Jan 2017

File Name: Samsung PM851 Solid State Drive Firmware Update_ZPE.exe

File size: 1.29 MB

Description: This package provides the firmware for Samsung PM851 2.5" 128GB, 256GB and 512GB, Revision EXT08D0Q, and is supported on Alienware, Inspiron, Latitude, Optiplex and Vostro models running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 26th, 2018 10:00

That package is firmware, not a driver.  But yes, as long as that system has an mSATA slot (which I believe it does), then it will accept a Samsung mSATA SSD or any other mSATA SSD, and the system will be able to boot any OS from it.  To make things easier, you might want to change the SATA Operation setting in your BIOS to AHCI rather than the default RAID.  RAID mode will still work with Windows, but you might have to supply the Intel RST driver during installation, although probably not with Win10 on a system that old.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 26th, 2018 19:00

I use Macrium Reflect for disk imaging and cloning. Their free version will be fine for this purpose. If you have an external hard drive, it will probably be easiest to capture an image of your existing drive to a file on the external hard drive, then install the new SSD, boot from the Rescue Media that Reflect will prompt you to create (you’ll need a flash drive or blank disc for that), and restore the image onto your new SSD. At that point your system should boot fine, but if not, boot from the Rescue Media again and select the “Fix Boot Problems” function. Good luck!

Also, is there any particular reason you’re looking at the Samsung PM851? That’s the OEM version of the 850 Evo, but there’s a newer 860 Evo that is available in mSATA form. It will be a bit faster, and the retail versions of Samsung’s SSDs typically include more features than the OEM versions, such as the ability to use RAPID mode.

3 Posts

July 26th, 2018 19:00

Thank you for sharing this information. May I also ask if you may have any suggestion on procedure on how to transfer/clone my current OS (Windows 10 Pro 64bit) to mSata SSD once installed?

3 Posts

July 26th, 2018 23:00

Thank you again for your input on my query. I'm already in the process of acquiring Samsung PM851, I just need to upgrade my old laptop to use as back-up unit. 

No Events found!