Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2019 12:00

Latitude E6530 memory failure

So, firstly I know this is an older laptop. However it was a hardly used well kept up machine, bios always updated and drives always kept up to date. However while getting ready to do a hard drive swap to an ssd( making sure the HDD could make it through the porcess) the machine shut down and when I went to power it back up, nothing. I did the dignastic thing and its giving me the code for memory faild to initialized, took both of the dimms out and it showed no memory installed. Would this be a faild main board? Or is it a CPU failure... processor is i7 3720qm.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 13th, 2019 15:00

@AGorski,

Good troubleshooting.

You'll need to run process of elimination on each slot and each stick. So run the diagnostics after adding back in one stick at a time, in each slot at a time to find the results. If all sticks fail in all slots, yes, it would then be a motherboard failure. 

2 Posts

August 13th, 2019 16:00

Thanks tried 5 dimms, 2 originals 2 new and 1 certified test dimm I got out of a similar laptop and all failed. Welp time to find a replacement board.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 13th, 2019 16:00

@AGorski,

Yes I'm confidant it's the board as well due to your troubleshooting just mentioned.

The best way to find the board is by using the part number. You may be able to find the part number on the motherboard's bar code sticker, if you can find it with the cover/parts removed. If you find the serial number the part number would be the 5 digits after cn-0xxxxx. Search that part number and you'd likely find what you need. If you can't find the part number just private message the tag to me and I'll check it.

No Events found!