Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2018 21:00

Latitude e6429 wattage support

So I really want to upgrade my cpu in my latitude e6420, but I’m getting mixed replies on things, I’ve found out that the latitude has been made with the i7 2760qm cpu, but I have also heard that since my current cpu is a 35 watt cpu, the 45 watt 2760qm cpu would not work, does it only work in some latitude e6420 laptops because they have different motherboards or something? A solid answer would be much appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 09:00

Even if the system did ship with 45W CPUs, that was six years ago.  You're going to be boosting the power required by almost 30% and putting extra demands on 6-year old voltage regulators.  In return you get a slightly faster CPU, but with all else remaining the same, you may not see enough of a boost to make the upgrade worth the risk.  At any rate - it's try it and see.  On a new board with new VRMs, it'll likely work.  On a system this old, it partly depends on the condition of the the VRMs, which deteriorate with age and use.

9.4K Posts

October 19th, 2018 05:00

Hi BillyGomez,

Thanks for posting, apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

The processor on this model is soldered to the motherboard, in order to change the processor,  you would need to change the motherboard.  Unfortunately, in a system this old, the cost of doing that would be more expensive than purchasing a newer computer and probably would not realize that much of a performance boost as this system was originally designed to run on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.  Also this model did not ship with the 2760qm cpu, so finding a motherboard that would fit the E6420 chassis would be very rare if not impossible.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

15 Posts

October 19th, 2018 18:00

the problem is that I'm getting mixed responses, and i don't want to screw up my laptop because i put a new CPU in, I'm being told that my motherboard wont support 45 watt CPUs while I'm researching and finding that there are latitude e6420's shipped with the i7 2760QM, I'm just trying to find out if there are some latitude e6420 laptops with different motherboards than other ones.

9.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 03:00

Perhaps I did not explain clearly enough.  Dell did not ship this product with the processor you want.  If a third party reseller changes the parts inside the unit after they purchased it from Dell, we do not have control over that, and it would not be supported by Dell, you would have to return the unit to the reseller for warranty service.

15 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 17:00

So you’re saying it can be done?

15 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 11:00

Thank you for the response that actually answered my questions.

15 Posts

October 25th, 2018 22:00

One last question: would the i5 3380m or the i5 3320m cpu work in my laptop? It is 35 watts like my current cpu

No Events found!