Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2021 14:00

Lattitude 5520

I have the new 5520, does this have a fingerprint scanner?  Windows doesn't think so, but I am not sure where to look.  I thought these were standard on Dells now.

Also, in case anyone has the issue I did,  the Dell Optimizer played havoc with my external monitor setup.  It ignored my preferences in power management in preference of the battery optimizer.  And it ignored my preference on the display because of the proximity sensor.  Some how, while I was sitting in the computer, and despite my settings to never shut down the display while on AC - it would lock the computer in 1 minute, and shut down the screen and laptop into sleep - which then meant when I touched the keyboard my windows were all moved back onto the main laptop.

Very annoying.

8 Posts

April 5th, 2021 17:00

Its not the older e5520.  It the current model.

I see now that you have to choose Fingerprint reader within the Palmrest section?!?!  Such a stupid place to put it.  It costs $30 extra and is not the default.  A $4K laptop and they screw around over $30.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

April 1st, 2021 14:00

If it is an E5520 then probably but go to this page and type in your service tag number. Look at the shipping configuration and you should be able to see if you have the sensor on your system.

199 Posts

April 1st, 2021 18:00

Fairly certain the smartcard readers and the fingerprint sensors are options. 

You'd know if you have the sensor. It would be a rectangular object on the lower-right of the keyboard palm rest if it were present.

Location of FP Reader relative to touchpad on palmrestLocation of FP Reader relative to touchpad on palmrest

8 Posts

April 5th, 2021 16:00

I had the XPS and it was in the power button, I assumed it was the same here.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 6th, 2021 07:00

No Events found!