Start a Conversation

Unsolved

14 Posts

June 10th, 2019 15:00

Modern Windows Drivers

Does anyone know if the Dell Driver Cabs Support Modern Windows Driver Model? Everything i am reading is saying that we should avoid inf based driver installs now. 

Intel Video Drivers look like the first drivers to adopt this new method. 

I have always used Dism /Add-Driver to inject drivers during imaging. is this still supported if i am using the Dell Driver Cabs?

14 Posts

June 11th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for your reply. So even thought the Driver Cabs are still inf based, you think it's still ok to use them? And you think using DISM to install them is still a supported method? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 07:00

@jaybird283 wrote:

Does anyone know if the Dell Driver Cabs Support Modern Windows Driver Model? Everything i am reading is saying that we should avoid inf based driver installs now. 

Intel Video Drivers look like the first drivers to adopt this new method. 

I have always used Dism /Add-Driver to inject drivers during imaging. is this still supported if i am using the Dell Driver Cabs?

@jaybird283 the links that you have attached made for some interesting reading. As long as the cabs are from the last few months or so, they should be working as designed taking into account the new method of Microsoft driver deployment. This should take into account the majority of our systems released in the last few years. Older systems will likely still be using the old method.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2019 01:00

@jaybird283 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. So even thought the Driver Cabs are still inf based, you think it's still ok to use them? And you think using DISM to install them is still a supported method? 

@jaybird283 yes, I would use them and deploy using DISM. We work closely alongside Microsoft and take into account the changes that they implement. As some of our latest CAB files are only a few weeks old that indicates there are no issues with using them for up to date deployment.

Alan

No Events found!