Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 00:00

New 7490 + TB16 + Skype for Business = BSOD in asmtxhci.sys

Like so many others, I am getting crashes with the TB16 connected to my brand new 7490. For the most part, it is stable -except- if I start Skype for Business (necessary at my company). Regardless of whether the audio modules are disabled, no Ethernet, etc., I get an immediate BSOD if I start Skype for Business. Disconnect the TB16, everything is fine. I have reinstalled the TBolt driver, firmware, ASM driver (10.16.50.1), Realtek audio and Ethernet drivers with no improvement. My preferred configuration would be to have a headset connected to the dock, 2 monitors (1 HDMI, 1 DP) and a Logitech Unity receiver. Dell, please continue working with AS Media to resolve these issues.

16 Posts

May 31st, 2018 13:00

I have this problem on my Precision 5520 with TB16 even though I don't have Dell Encryption installed. I'm a heavy Skype for Business user too. I've got the latest drivers and BIOS. I notice @PeteSL mentioned upgrading to Thunderbolt 3 firmware 4.33.21.001 but that isn't available at support.dell.com for my machine - the latest is 4.26.12.001

28 Posts

May 31st, 2018 14:00

I was making the point that all firmware and drivers need to be the latest for Dell to go further. The issue is with the ASMedia drivers and have predated the TB16.  We were hopeful that Dell had pushed ASMedia to fix their drivers but others have reported the issue still exists.  I was too dependent on having a working dock so I went with another vendor but still monitor this thread with the hope someone will say "Bingo, Dell fixed it!" but that day hasn't come yet. My TB16 continues to gather dust on the shelf until that day arrives.

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 05:00

Dear All,

I've the same issue using XPS 9370, TB16, SkyPE and Jabra USB devices. When I unplug from the TB16 a Jabra devices (Jabra 510/Jabra 410/Jabra 360) I get a BSOD.

After some  Dell Coonect sessions, support force the installation of old driver (10.16.49.1, 16-Aug-17) and after 24 hours no more BSOD.

If anyone want to try ... happy to share results/infos ...

-SR

16 Posts

June 7th, 2018 09:00

Can you share any special steps to force the installation of old driver?

Any reason they chose 1.16.49.1 and not 1.16.50.1 ? or did you try that too?

Support told me to remove drivers in Device Manager but Win10 Apps&Features still shows ASmedia

28 Posts

June 7th, 2018 10:00

You have hit an issue with downgrading to .49 which I was going to mention.  First, the reason for going to .49 instead of .50 is because .50 was the version this thread was started on and .51 was Dell's hope for a fix. .50 is the current driver on Windows Update and, if you have auto-update enabled -and- are running the latest Windows 10 (1803), your .49 driver will be updated to .50 unless you manually "hide" the .50 update using Microsoft's Windows Update Hide tool (only download tool from Microsoft's KB article if you are going to use this tool as there are some malware loaded versions available elsewhere).

While .49 seemed to be more stable according to many, it still exhibited issues under certain configurations (search Internet for examples).  It is worth a try but be sure that Windows 10 doesn't "auto-update" the driver to .50.

16 Posts

June 7th, 2018 12:00

Thanks. I actually am unable to install .49 ... the installer hangs. Maybe this is what "downgrading issue" and "forced install" meant... I'll await further tips

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 13:00

Hi all,

try this step:

1. from device manager uninstall ASMedia driver under 'Universal Serial Bus controller' specifying to delete drivers file
  2. download from Dell Support the package and select extract
  3. from device manager do a 'scan for hardware changes' - in my case the Microsoft version was installed
  4. from ASMedia entries under 'Universal Serial Bus controller' update driver choosing 'Browsing my computer ...' and navigate to the folder user for extract (step 2)

About version, Dell suggest .49 ... i don't know why.

Regards

-SR

1 Message

June 12th, 2018 06:00

I too am still having the problem and I dont have encryption. I have the latest drivers for windows 10 64-bit.

I have the problem using skype for business and also with zoom. During the zoom call, I lose audio. Afetr a few seconds zoom says switching audio to my headset which I was using before. This happens a couple of times and then eventually I get the BSOD

16 Posts

June 12th, 2018 09:00

Question: Is the BSOD only happening when an audio device (headset, speakerphone, jabra, etc) is plugged into the dock? Does anyone still get the BSOD when you plug the audio device directly into the computer's USB port?

28 Posts

June 12th, 2018 09:00

It happens regardless because the Realtek USB Audio drivers are still there.  Essentially (per Dell), Skype for Business and some other applications do a search for all available audio devices.  When the Realtek on the TB-16 is scanned, there is a status code returned that causes the ASMedia driver to crash the system (BSOD).  While readily reproduceable with Skype for Business, there are other applications that also cause the crash and it does not necessarily have to be an audio app (since this is really the ASMedia driver crashing, not the audio driver).  As reported earlier, the .49 driver -might- be the most stable driver available but then you have to prevent Windows from trying to update the driver to .50 or .51.  Prior drivers (pre .49) also exhibited this issue at high rate.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

June 26th, 2018 10:00

Pete,

Thanks for all your help on this. I've been a BIG fan of the latitude series for a very long time (Since 1996). Just bought 26 7490's with the TB16 to retro fit my field folks. We are retiring the old E series which worked flawlessly for years. We are a huge user of Skype for Business and we use Bitlocker for encryption. Just found your posts after experiencing not only BSOD issues but also where the machine would go into a cycle of alternating between wireless and Ethernet rendering on-line access useless. If I undock, everything goes back to normal. Knowing what I know now, we can't push these machines out to the field and probably can't return them. We are a healthcare related organization so disabling bitlocker isn't an option and turning off the ASMedia drive defeats the purpose of the docking station. Maybe it's time to look at someone else....Dell...Are you listening???? 

Jon

16 Posts

June 26th, 2018 11:00

I have a ticket open with Dell support - my machine is a Precision 5520 but the issue description is identical. I too am an extremely heavy user of Skype for Business. Recently I started noticing that if I plug my Jabra Speak into my computer's USB port instead of the TB16's USB port, I get no BSOD.

If anyone tests this workaround could you please report back here?

Also has anyone pinpointed the trigger for the BSOD? E.g. steps to recreate/force it on demand? Or is it random..

3 Posts

June 27th, 2018 18:00

Today I moved all of my audio and video devices to a USB hub plugged directly into my notebook, bypassing the TB16. Everything worked flawlessly for the entire day. As a test, I moved my Plantronics headset back to the TB16 and in doing so, cause the ethernet interface to go into a continuously looping reset until it finally BS'ed. When I moved the device back to the USB hub, stability returned. So using the notebook USB connections seems to be a usable but unreasonable work around.   

16 Posts

June 29th, 2018 11:00

I can now reliably recreate the BSOD.

Here’s the first scenario that always causes a BSOD:

1. Computer is running
  2. TB16 Dock is connected
  3. Skype for Business is running
  4. Connect Jabra speakerphone to the dock
  5. Put computer to sleep
  6. Wake computer from sleep
  7. instant BSOD

Second scenario

1. Computer is running
  2. Dock is connected
  3. Skype for Business is NOT running
  4. Connect Jabra to the dock
  5. Put computer to sleep
  6. Wake computer from sleep
  7. Start Skype for Business
  8. BSOD

156 Posts

July 4th, 2018 05:00

All,

Apologies for going dark for some time. We have been able to reproduce the issues you all are seeing with the current and previous generation of Dell Latitudes and XPS systems (i've been using an XPS 15 9550 for alot of my testing). We are currently working with the ASMedia team to deliver a driver shortly to help alleviate if not fully resolve this issue.

We have also confirmed that this is reproducible _without_ Dell Encryption installed. 

I hope to have an update in the coming weeks to help get a final resolution to this. We do have test drivers in hand that have alleviated these issues for us in testing. Once we finalize validation and properly code-sign/attestation sign these drivers, we will be able to provide those publicly. I'll update this forum post once we do have final drivers and have validated with those drivers that this issue remains resolved. 

No Events found!