Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AW

2 Posts

October 16th, 2019 08:00

New Latitude 5400 Laptop head phone Jack not Working

Tried many thing Uninstalling install /upgrading even auto detect the from dell site.

when head plug in to laptop  & restart the laptop the sound start coming in head phone . unplug & plug again it stops working. 

Need help 

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application

October 17th, 2019 06:00

Check audio settings and restart device

There’s also a chance the problem isn’t with the jack or the headphones you’re using but has to do with the audio settings of the device. If this is the case, you’ll be able to sort it out in no time. Just open up the audio settings on your device and check the volume level as well as any others settings that might mute the sound.

Normally, there aren’t a lot of settings like these on a smartphone, so you should find the problem more or less right away. If there is one, that is.

If everything seems to be in order, there’s another simple fix you can try which is restarting your device. This can sometimes solve loads of different smartphone-related problems and takes less than a minute to do. Just press and hold the power button, select the restart option, wait for the device to turn back on again, and then check to see if the problem still persists.

October 18th, 2019 08:00

We're having the same problem with all of our new Latitude 5400 laptops (note, these are *laptops*, not smartphones).  We do apply our own image, but we're using the latest driver CAB from Dell for this model, plus we've run the Dell Command Update to install any additional updated drivers up to the latest available through there.

My next step will be to check the Latitude 5400 driver web page and see if there are any newer audio drivers that may correct this bug, and/or roll back to an older version of the drivers in case this was something that only shows up in the newest driver.

The currently installed Realtek audio drivers are version 6.0.8758.1 (dated 2019-07-18).  I do see that version 6.0.8777.1 is available now (dated 2019-09-10) so we'll see if that helps. I don't know why that didn't get updated through the DCU tool, but I guess it's not in the catalog XML yet.

October 18th, 2019 09:00

The updated driver didn't change anything. The only way to get the headphones to work is to reboot, but then if you unplug and plug back in, they stop working. Even when the headphones work, the mic on the headset does not, so it's still not a workaround.

It would be interesting to see if a factory image works correctly. All we're doing is installing Windows 10 Enterprise (1903) and then adding the appropriate driver CAB for each model, then installing our standard apps like Office, etc.

Part of the process also involves updating to the latest BIOS, so we're using the latest 1.5.1 as of this date. Perhaps it's a problem with the latest BIOS, breaking the headset detection? I could try rolling back to a previous BIOS and see if that does anything, but at this point I don't know if it makes much sense to try rolling things back just to get headset detection working. Our workaround is giving people a USB headset if they really need something right now.

October 18th, 2019 12:00

Downgraded the BIOS to 1.4.2 but it didn't change.

I had some luck with going into add/remove programs and removing the Realtek audio entry that shows up in there. It left the actual driver behind, but for whatever reason, doing that meant I could plug/unplug the headset and it would play audio over the headphones just fine.

Still no microphone from the headset though.

Then I started looking at the ungainly Waves MaxxAudio program that gets installed. For some reason, when you "install" that, it just takes you to the Windows Store where you actually install the app. Yuck. I did all that and I still don't get the box that pops up when you plug in a headset that asks "Which device did you plug in?" like it does on the 5x80 and 5x90 Latitude laptops. That's what I expect to see on this 5400, so I can select if it's headphones or a headset, earbuds, on-ear, or over-ear, etc.  But I still don't get that on this 5400 (using the same headset between my laptop models, so I know they're functioning headsets).

I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the MaxxAudio software and not the Realtek drivers. That dialog box that appears on the 5x80/5x90 laptops shows up as "MaxxAudioPro Jack - 6".  Maybe that particular component of the MaxxAudio software is simply missing on the 5400?

EDIT: I don't see the same "C:\Program Files\Waves" folder on the 5400 that does show up on my 5580, for example. The Waves app on the 5400, being a Store app, runs differently, so I think it does boil down to the peculiar decision by Dell and/or Waves to switch over to a Store app on the 5x00 models. Either something's missing, or something isn't being installed correctly. But if we can't properly install that app during our imaging process, then that's not good. We can't ask each user to go into the Store and install it themselves (plus, when I did that, it still didn't work, so something else is happening).

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2019 12:00

Thanks for sharing all your experience.

up-till now nothing is working. I did tried the audio Max driver . But it’s not working.
Hopefully Dell look into it & come up with some solutions. 

Note

One thing when Install windows with  images (before 1903) of windows then update it from dell site then update it from Windows update & it work . It show me the same windows when you plug in head phone asking what did you plug but unfortunately we don’t have the policy to use old image & it automatically stop working when new image comes in.

That doesn’t mean that it’s windows image issue as I tried in laptop 7490 & every thing working fine. 

October 22nd, 2019 12:00

FYI, it looks like I may have found out what's causing our issue with the 5400 & 5500.

The Waves MaxxAudio software is now installed as a Microsoft Store application, not a downloadable/easily-installable package we can do during our imaging process.

Although the driver CAB has drivers for the Realtek audio, it does not install (or *properly* install?) the MaxxAudio software, so nothing happens when you plug in headphones.

My solution was to grab the appxbundle file from the Microsoft Store and "sideload" that onto the systems. For existing systems we've already given to users, I created an SCCM package containing that appxbundle and the prerequisites it needs. The pre-reqs probably aren't necessary - just some .NET and VC lib stuff that Windows 10 already has, but I included them anyway.

To install them during imaging, SCCM doesn't let you install appx applications in a task sequence, which is strange and unfortunate. I'm including the source files in a package instead, and using a powershell command to install. I haven't tested that out yet but in theory it should work. The task sequence step just has a condition to only run on Latitude 5400/5500 systems (the only ones we happen to use that need this software installed in this manner).

All of our older laptops get their MaxxAudio installed just fine during the driver install. I tried installing that version on a 5400 (you can find the MSI in the Realtek driver directory, for the Latitude 5490 drivers as an example) but it gave an error saying it wasn't supported on that model.

I hope that's helpful.  BTW, I did read some other comments from people that had the same issue, and they got a hold of their Dell rep who then provided them with the appxbundle files to do offline installs. So that may be another route besides grabbing the files from the Microsoft Store. If you do get them from the Store, just do a web search on how to get the actual files... it's not too difficult.

1 Message

November 26th, 2019 10:00

Waves MaxxAudio Pro for Dell 2019 - Microsoft Store Link.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9PJPPGG8TGVG

Installing this enabled a pop-up when headphone plugged in to audio jack.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2019 19:00

We install but still not Working

2 Posts

December 1st, 2019 20:00

Uninstall the Dell 5400 install Audio Driver, Remove the device from Device Manager and restart.  Let window auto Detect and it work 

December 16th, 2019 05:00

Hi,

Can you please give me the Powershell command script to install the appxbundle? 

December 16th, 2019 08:00

The way I do it is during OS installation, during the WinPE phase (this is using SCCM in a task sequence, FYI). At this point, the OS has been installed but hasn't rebooted yet. The model specific driver CAB has been installed and then I do this:

• Load the HKLM registry hive of the new OS. Might look something like this command: reg.exe load HKLM\Temp %OSDTargetSystemDrive%\Windows\system32\config\software
  • Set this registry key in the hive just loaded: reg.exe add "HKLM\Temp\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Appx" /v AllowAllTrustedApps /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
  • Unload that hive: reg.exe unload HKLM\Temp
  • Run this command (of course the source appx files need to be available - in my case, this task sequence step references a package that has the files) - adjust the filename accordingly if you have a different version of course: dism /Image=%OSDTargetSystemDrive%\ /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:"WavesAudio.MaxxAudioProforDell2019_2.0.54.0_neutral___fh4rh281wavaa.AppxBundle" /SkipLicense
  • Then it's okay to reboot - the Waves app is provisioned now and will show up for users when they login.

1 Message

December 24th, 2019 13:00

his seems to work for me ..

lattitude 5400 

8 Posts

January 14th, 2020 06:00

If anyone is still having problems with the mic not working, make sure you choose headset and not headphones when it popes up 

1 Message

January 21st, 2020 22:00

Hello Guys!

May i know the delivered / best way to fix this? Thanks! 

Headphone 3.5 mm jack not working. Only USB jack working. My workaround is to plugin the 3.5mm jack and restart the laptop and never unplug it. Thanks.

6 Posts

January 30th, 2020 11:00

The fact that this must be done before first boot and cannot be remediated once the os is installed is pretty silly. I'm looking into deploying the solution, and also into not buying any hardware that uses waves maxxaudio.  Microsoft's insistence on this is absurd and not tenable.

No Events found!