Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

25 Posts

August 14th, 2020 02:00

I installed latest drivers , firmware.
After this - my Audio turn off for while - switch to laptop and back . It lasts for few seconds ....  2 times an hour or something like this ....
When external monitor  goes to sleep mode ethernet connection is lost  after wake is on but !!!! ....

I am really annoyed. I bought 2 same docks one for home and one for work ....

I wish I knew what  are they before.

I used E-dock for many years without any problem .....

4 Posts

August 19th, 2020 15:00

Finally to learn I'm not alone. I've been fighting this exact issue with a pair of WD19s 180W PS and Insp 7391 2n1s. Everything is 100% updated including new Dock firmware.

Still random disconnects several times a day with reconnecting as a unknown USB device. Appears to always happen with or during heavyish network load like a Video (Zoom Meeting) or downloads.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2020 16:00

Well I read all 22 pages. Can't believe this issue is over a year old. Those who attempted various work arounds I commend you!

I have a case. The units are under warranty and I've been messing with this since May. Dell you need to fix this ASAP.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

August 27th, 2020 10:00

Hi community,

just got the chance to test the new X11 series, Latitude 5310 (2in1) is also affected. That was expected as is just a minor refresh. Anyone here who could test new 7x10 or 9x10 series?

...and the journey goes on...

3 Posts

September 8th, 2020 11:00

I had a bunch of 7540 laptops and the WD19DC docks for a few months and just started to deploy them as my inventory ran out. I had the same issue after I had deployed this to another branch office. I already update all drivers and BIOS before they leave me and what eventually fixed it was the dock firmware. 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-wd19dc-dock/drivers

download the firmware utility and do the updates. I had 2 of 4 updates in that utility that showed it was old. (first one on the list and the last one with the "ec") after this I rebooted the system remotely and it came back after a minute where I would usually have to tell the user to acknowledge the warning so I could see it on my side again.  

FYI I had BIOS 1.10.2 which said in the notes it was to fix the power issues etc. but that did not work. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and any Thunderbolt updates in Dell Command Update. 

23 Posts

September 10th, 2020 11:00

I've been connected to my dock for a few more weeks, and it's been rock stable. Not entirely sure if a Windows update helped solidify it, but not a single drop, hiccup, or anything. I am still reluctant to call it fixed, but it is infinitely better than what it was originally, where I couldn't finish a work day without it dropping a dozen times or more.

1 Message

September 10th, 2020 17:00

So we recently had several problems with Dell Docks dropping Ethernet connections.  Usually, unplugging the Ethernet cable for a few seconds and plugging it back in would resolve the problem.  HOWEVER, we found the solution that seems to have fixed the problem.  Sorry Dell folks, but I call it De-Dellifying the laptop.  Basically, uninstall all the Dell software that comes with the laptop except for Dell Command Update.  Uninstall Support Assist, Dell Optimizer, Dell Power Manager, etc.  Once we took those off, our Ethernet Disconnect problems went away like magic.  I suspect Dell Command Update is not a problem because in our case, it usually commits suicide and kills itself.  We always have to repair it before we can use it on nearly all of our over 1600 computers in our organization.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2020 14:00

Hi @Dell-Alan D

Maybe you can be my Savior,  

I have the WD19-TB Dock and it works great when I initially connect after a restart of my PC.  but EVERYTIME I try to unplug the dock,  then reconnect,  the device sort appears not recognized and I get the a similar Error Showing in the Device Manager but it says "Port Reset Failed" -- weirdly the monitors work but NONE of the USB peripherals work NOR does the Ethernet.   

My issue is with a HP Elitebook x360 G2. I tried to reproduce the error with on my other DELL PC (non thunderbolt) but It seems to work as designed without issue plug and unplug all works fine on my DELL PC. 

leads me to believe maybe there is a driver, setting or something on this HP Machine. I tried to contact HP but they said its a dock issue

I just cannot figure it out.  any Ideas?

1 Message

September 21st, 2020 08:00

Finding the same issue, keyboard randomly drops out, even while typing this reply, but mouse remains active.

Dock is a WD19 USB-C, PC is an XPS 9300. All updated.

Had the PC since march and this has just started happening.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2020 20:00

I was able to resolve the USB drop out be DISABLING the Intel Vt-d in the BIOS settings...

So after doing a side by side test with another machine.  I was able to track this down to a driver issue related to a Intel Vt-d.  Disabling Vt-d is a work around for the problem, but the underlying issue seems to be that the driver fails to properly initialize in a Vt-d capable environment.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 14:00

Hi Everyone,

6 x Latitude 5501 Deployed, all with the exact same issues. BIOS, Docks, Drivers all updated since we deployed, but the issue persisted.

Been fighting with Dell support for a few weeks, the answer was to reload Dell OEM image and test as we loaded our own image. Which we did and it worked, but I wasn't convinced it would remain working as we were not able to continue testing. But it bugged me that this was Windows 10 2004 Build and we were still on 1809. Fortunately our End Point Team started testing the 2004 update as 1809 is nearing end of support. I took a chance on one of the 5501's and once the update installed the issues were immediately solved. This 5501 was on all the latest firmware's and drivers. We did the same update today on another of the afflicted 5501's which we purposefully kept on the shipped BIOS and firmware's and the issues are now also solved. We will continue to update the remaining 5501's we have. We have however been seeing WD18 dock issues, both versions of it and started testing, however, these issues seems to have manifested since the last few Windows updates, not sure if something in those updates is adversely affecting Docks on Windows 1809 build.

Hope this helps someone, I will try to update again if we find more info as we continue, but we still rue the day Dell started with the USB-C Docks, has been a rocky ride and many paper weights in the cupboards thus far...

September 28th, 2020 09:00

I am giving up on the Dell WD19TB. I realize many of you don't have this option. As for me, I have purchased a CalDIgit USB-C Pro Dock. My issues with the WD19TB were a too noisy fan that triggered too often and ran too long, intermittent dropouts of my wired Internet connection, and an erroneous error message that displayed whenever I booted my XPS 13 9300 laptop (the message was from pre-boot diagnostics and reported my dock's fan had failed). Dell Support could do nothing about any of these issues.

In five days of using the CalDigit dock, I've had no problems whatsoever. 

25 Posts

September 28th, 2020 23:00

I've bought 2 Dell WD 19 USB-C and they weren't very cheap ...
This is not solution what I want to read

Anyway I understand Your disillusionment ...

15 Posts

September 30th, 2020 01:00

Same problem here, still wating fix from Dell ...

14 Posts

September 30th, 2020 06:00

Has anyone tried third party docks? i wonder if they also suffer from the same issue. also. i wonder if third party docks are a viable solution. i remember testing some a few years ago and the laptop would not boot up automatically when the dock is connected, and the laptop would throw an error about wattage (even though the dock supplied enough). 

No Events found!