Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

14 Posts

June 16th, 2021 03:00

WD19Tb USB port broken - Dell refuses repair - customer damage??

Yesterday I remove a USB cable from my 10month old WD19TB.

The blue tab inside the port came away with the USB cable - leaving the port unusable.

The dock is under warranty so I contacted Dell support and sent them photos as requested.

But they refuse to repair/replace it - as they claim customer damage!

I am a developer/IT Consultant with more than 30yrs industry experience - I have built + upgraded PCs, repaired laptop etc. But according to Dell, I don't know how to remove a USB cable without damaging a port?

If the simple act of removing a USB cable from a Port can damage it - it is not fit for purpose.  Might as well hardwire everything and not have ports?

In all my years of using PCs and laptops, I have never seen this scenario where the plastic tab inside a USB port comes away. Dell refuses to accept that a port should not break by merely removing a cable.

I can understand if it was some cheap £30 Anker USB hub - but this is a £300 dock.

In fact, none of my cheap USB hubs over the years have ever had the same issue!

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2021 07:00

Same problem. 

https://youtu.be/t8fPnvNLNMI

Found this on youtuber as well. Clearly a dell issue that they are balming on customers. 

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2021 20:00

UPDATE

My docking station got replaced.

14 Posts

July 8th, 2021 00:00

After much debating with the Dell Tech Support person and insisting on speaking with a supervisor etc, they finally agreed to replace mine too.

Unfortunately, the 1st one had a duff power button - so that had to be returned. Eventually got a working replacement.

14 Posts

November 7th, 2022 04:00

Looks like the replacement is also now failing just over 16 months later.. Lots of random high pitch fan noises from the dock - even though the room temperature is 18centrigrade or lower...

Got onto Dell Support, and initially, they agreed to replace it - but now claiming that the dock I have is a faulty one I should have sent back last year...So the replacement order is not going through!!

1 Message

March 14th, 2023 14:00

I have the same broken usb and now the docking station will not power on.  I called Dell support since it is still under warranty, and was told the only option is to buy another one. I was told this is not a common problem with the WD19TB and that the warranty does not cover the damage.

14 Posts

March 15th, 2023 03:00

Hi @Prof27 

Don't accept this response. Politely but firmly ask to raise a complaint and or escalate - can't remember which route I took.

After a bit of hassle, they sent me a new one.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

October 16th, 2023 02:27

same exact problem with my WD19TB tonight that is out of warranty... and I already upgraded it to a WD22 with a new module. 

I have never ever had the blue plastic on a USB 3 or any other USB port break and make the port unusable on any USB hub, dock, or other device.   Just this one. These also have issues dropping audio when USB audio devices are connected like USB Speakers or headsets.  What a piece of gar-baugh-eh.

No Events found!