Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

17 Posts

February 4th, 2023 12:00

Windows 7 fresh install

OptiPlex 7020

OptiPlex 7020

Is it still possible to do a windows 7 fresh install these days? I know it's not supported and has security risks, but since there have been no updates on windows 7 I have had zero problems for years with my current install.
When I try to do a fresh install with a dell windows 7 pro USB stick, I get all sorts of issues.
Problems with certificates, cause internet issues, windows update won't work or when it does work it breaks the system. Permission problems on the hard drive, and folders. cases with missing files. IDK I have installed windows a hundred times without hardly any issues until the last year or two.    If I download the dell system restore USB bootable install, for windows 7 will it still have all these problems?  by the way dell I am not asking for service from you, I will not buy support.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 4th, 2023 12:00

It should be possible to install Windows 7, though I have not done it recently.

Windows 7 is unsupported and insecure. It does not receive security patches, so it should no longer be used on a PC connected to the Internet.

I suggest that you update to Windows 10. If you are able to install Windows 7, or if you still have a working Win7 system, you should then do the free upgrade: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

After upgrading, check to see if Windows 10 is activated in Settings | Activation. If it is, then you can perform a clean install of Windows 10 and it should activate automatically.

If you absolutely cannot install Windows 7, then you could try a clean install of Windows 10 and during the installation process you would enter your Windows 7 Product Key. That may also work to activate Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

February 4th, 2023 15:00

To add to the other response, the issues aren't going to be solved by a clean install -- Windows 7 went end of life in January 2020, so it has not been patched in over three years.  More and more websites will block access to systems running Windows 7, and more and more security issues will pop up.

Whatever your reason for needing Windows 7, that needs to be solved -- there is no way to solve the issues you've listed without using a currently supported operating system (windows 10 or 11, though there are plenty of other alternatives outside of Windows).

2 Intern

• 

228 Posts

February 6th, 2023 23:00

Hi

Is W10 or W11 with W7 virtualised (https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/virtualbox/)

a possibilty?

17 Posts

February 7th, 2023 02:00

Yeah, i used to run virtual machines a lot with VMware.  That might give me a chance to get used to 10. i am not a patient person.  I am not sure I could just switch and deal with the whole learning process without blowing a gasket.  i get stuff done fast now.

No Events found!